ATT - E760 Classified Mobo + SLI GTX 480's = Melted 24 Pin Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionRed

Baseband Member
Hi guys...just wanted you fellow GTX 480 Sli guys to check your 24 pin connectors on your MB.

Seems the GTX 480s draw so much power..they melt the freaking power connectors:wtf:

2 of my power pins have melted. I will post pics later. Computer has been acting funny...today it would not boot. I checked power connections and was stunned to see the plastic on the power connectors had melted.

I will post pics later. I doubt it is a bad power supply and everything has a good connecion - PS is a Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W. Cleaned out melted garbage and system rebooted.

Ughh I am a little miffed manufacturers didn't see this coming ..probably going to sell off my 480's now. Sli'd these things are pretty much a fire hazard!

Just wanted to give some of you guys a heads up...Soul...Slay and the others.

Here is another thread over at Overclockers discussing it.

Just wondering, are you sure there was no airflow issue causing heat buildup? Or is it just that badly designed :p

Darn it man!! I hate to hear that. My connector is nice and chilly but I've got so many fans it hard to find a spot that isn't being cooled. I don't think you should sell all 3 of your GTX 480's, I would just sell one of them. That 3rd card is drawing a lot of power for minimal results. Keep us posted, you do have my attention.

Here is what my connectors look like. I reckon I will put some kind of fan blowing on the connector now...but it is a little un-nerving :sad:

4927645467_55b624e44c_b.jpg

If I had to hazard a guess I would not place the blame on the GPU's. If anything that's an issue with your motherboard.

I am leaning toward MB as well. I have posted over at EVGA...will see what kinda reception it gets.

Update:
Have had others look at the pic...they are thinking it was a bad connection of all things. Amazing to think just because it snaps in good and tight...doesn't mean it is a good connection. I may still try to get the MB RMA'd (have to sleep on it).

Decided to do some stress testing today. Measuring the temps of the yellow wires and area while running Alien vs Predator Benchmark.

Running 2 x GTX 480's - wires outside temp hit 65 - 70C
Running 3 x GTX 480's - wires outside temp hit 95 - 107C

Perhaps someone running SLI in the Classified could try measuring the temps on the wires while benchmarking and let me know the results. If your temps are same as mine...then there is no sense rma'n this board and just go with the mod I have seen.

I can take a temp reading this weekend with my digital thermometer. I can't do it now because it's at my office.

I am RMA'n the MB and the PS.

I did the molex mod, ran AvP bench..temps on the wire dropped down to the 50-55C on average with a spike of 58C. Considerably less heat. But I think the damage was done...things keep getting weirder after each boot. HD's not being detected, DVD not being detected. Not fully booting into windows all the time. Even when I disconnected the molex power.

System booted fine again once I went to one 480. At that point I decided ...screw it..RMA the MB and PS.

I will be interested in what you find Slaymate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom