ATITool Artifact test + 8800 gtx failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
so I did 40 minutes at 600/980 with my 8800 GTX with no errors on ATI Tool. When I upped it to 612/1020 ( still considered a mild overclock ) I could only run the artifact test for 5 minutes before it got a delta error ( happened incredably quick, so quick I could only see the word delta and it reset the no error timer ). The failure happened around 85 celcius. I'm very disapointed this happened, especially since its a cold day and 612 core clock mhz isn't asking for a lot...so I was wondering a few things

1. Why does this happen?

2. For the people with OCed 8800 GTXs and Ultras, do they ever do a artifact test with ATI Tool? and how long do they do it?

3. I noticed my memory mhz its a little higher then most peoples OCing profiles, maybe this is the cause?

4. Any suggestions at all?

(Note: on both 600/980 and 612/1020 I got a 3dbenchmark06 of 13,150ish and 13,450ish )

i artifact test with COD4 lol.
really, i never liked atitool, it would always give me artifacts at very odd speeds.
as for suggestions, try rivatuner maybe?

i artifact test with COD4 lol.
really, i never liked atitool, it would always give me artifacts at very odd speeds.
as for suggestions, try rivatuner maybe?

I have rivatuner as well...but what do you mean try rivatuner? I can overclock with either one thats not the problem, but I can't pass the artifact no error test for more then 5 minutes at 612...so i was under the assumption I reached my overclocking limit...or is atitool wrong and just giving me bogus artifacts at certain speeds?

ouch.. 612!!! that hurts... i thought mine was clocking low w/ 630 :( i feel you man.. we got duds of overclocking

its really weird how the delta error only lasts a split second and resets the no error timer, is that still not considered stable?

Also what happens when you try to overclock past 630 Nosboost?

Hmm this is really weird I set it to 612/1000 now and ran the artifact test ( made it more sensitive by sliding the slider to the left which makes it more sensitive to artifacts ) and it got no errors for 26 minutes before I had to stop it and leave somewhere. This makes no sense at all...the max temp it reached was 83 celcius...hmmm wonder whats going on...

anyone have any explanations?

Hmmm ran the artifact test again at 612/1000 and it gave me a delta on the 22 pixel or whatever but beside it still had a no error timer at 42 minutes so...I have no idea whats going on or if its stable or not

Wow you're getting temps in the 80's? Mine have never been that high and I'm at a higher overclock than that. Doesn't your rig have good cooling? What's the ambient temp in your room?

And by the way, I don't trust ati tool (even though from what I've read, it is reliable) for artifact checking. The way I look at it, if it can pass 3DMark06, and if I can play my games just fine with no tearing, glitches, etc, then my card is stable. I don't care about getting artifacts in a program like that, because I don't use my card to run ATI Tool. I use it to play games. That's just like overclocking your CPU, and then checking for errors by running Orthos and getting all worked up because you got errors. Well, what did you overclock the CPU for? To calculate pi, or to play games? (Sorry if that analogy didn't make sense, I am doing a lot of things right now).

made perfect sense to me!!!! and i totally agree, i dont' care what ati tool says... if i don't notice anything in my games.. i don't really care
and if it gets me through 3dmark06.. and my score is higher.. then i could care less!

and i as well get about 75-80 on full load

but i live in cali.. its usually hot here.. and my room is generally hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom