Athlon XP 2.8 overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
mate, we need to know your setup... motherboard, RAM, cooling, etc.

Then we can give you some pointers

o sorry is here is my system

Jetway V400ADBL via kt400a/vt8235 AGP 8x USB 2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2.8
512ddr 333mhz 2700
ATI Radeon 9200 256mb
30gb hdd

Cooling= i have the default fan that come with the processor and 2 fans at the back one controlled and one just powered.

ur specs are ok, u shud probly get a better sink and fan, did u build this or is it an oem system. Everything u need shud be in the manual, or just start tinkering around in the bios

ok, a couple of limiting factors...

1) your motherboard isnt the standard overclockers choice, therefore im not sure how it lets you play with the settings.
If you go in the BIOS there are a couple of numbers of intrest, the Front Side Bus and the Multiplier. by multiplying these 2 together you get your clock speed so if you can change either or both of these in the BIOS you can overclock.

2) your RAM is rated at 333MHz this is the standard FSB of your processor therefore uping the FSB will push your RAM faster than it is meant to go. The amount you can up this is entirely dependant on your RAM type, for example I have 333MHz OCZ but it will run at 360MHz quite happily (please note all RAM is different).
If your processor is an early version there is every chance that the multiplier is unlocked this allows you to change it, the limiting factor then as I understand it is the temp of the cpu (which should not go above 60oC under full load).

So if you can change the FSB and multiplier change the multiplier up in increments of 0.5 then run Prime95 for a couple of hours and see what the temp goes to, or buy new RAM 400MHz stuff and change the FSB in increments of 5MHz testing it in the same way. The FSB change has the most dramatic effect on performance.

let us know how you get on

Yeh ive been in the bios and changed the mhz to 173 and it has gone up from 2.08ghz to 2.19 i might overclock a bit more but not at the mo im happy with my machine at the mo, and yes i built it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom