athlon x2 black edition, & memory dividers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it all depends on what timings your using=)

6-6-6-18 are crappy timings, really...

but i've seen ddr800 value ram running at 6-6-6-18 stock

which is even crappier, lol

Actually a buddy of mine has a 9850 with some 6-6-6-18 ddr800 ram,

so i figure 6-6-6-18 in my machine running at 940(my end goal)
has GOTTA be faster than his 800=)

i need one of the hardcore overclockers to wake up and give me some pointers=)

i wish i could help you out with your memory settings... but i've never really intensely OCed an AMD based system... i can tell you that you can probably tighten up the basic timings (5-5-6-18 should work ok) and then loosen out your advanced timings... if you wanna get more stability, you'll have to loosen your tRD (Static tRead or Performance Level) and the tRFC (Refresh to Act Delay), as well as the tRRD (Act to Act Delay) and the tWR (Write to Read Delay)... start at about 10 for your tRD and 46 for tRFC (maybe looser if you have 4GB), you can probably get these to 7 and 42, respectively, with some more voltage... you can probably let your tRRD sit around 4-7 and set the tWR at 5-8...

as always, with RAM timings, start with the timings loose and run 2 passes of Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool between each move... when you start getting errors (more than a few per pass), give the RAM a bit more voltage and run MemTest again

as i said before, i've never really played with the advanced timings on an AMD based system, so i cant be sure of the numbers, but im pretty sure your advanced timings are whats giving you trouble getting stable, so have a play with them

oh yeah... run a pass or 2 of MemTest before you touch anything to see where you're sitting now

as a general rule, AMDs will perform better at superpi with ram at lower speed and tighter timings. ie 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 will be just as good (if not better) as say, 900-950mhz 5-5-5-15. what will REALLY make a difference is if you can run it a little shy of stock (say, 750mhz) with a command rate of 1T. that will be faster than 1000mhz with 2T command rate.

To get past 3.3ghz your going to need to bump your Vcore up to 1.6Volts whether you like it or not lol. Besides all you will be doing is running Super PI so you can always push it back to 1.48Volts later.
I got my X2 6000+ to ~3450MHZ at around 1.55V
The motherboard and cooling is very important. If you are lacking in either, it will be harder to overclock.

Also, DDR2 can stand about 2.4V generally, even value RAM. I tend to use 2.2-2.3

Well i reached the max of my memory, 460mhz isnt stable (even at 2.18v.. and i dont want to push it higher, its only rated for 1.8v apparently)

My super-pi time is slightly higher, probably due to the higher cas latency, BUT video game performance is 10-15fps higher!

This is good, because now i have 2 complete system settings saved in my bios,

1 for Super-pi, and 1 for Games=)

Im going to underclock it later, and see how low i can get for web-browsing and emails=)

This Corsair 800mhz ram is doing very well for itself , (i even lowered the Tras a little @ 900mhz)

MaxOverclock.jpg

=) any ideas on how i can get it to 460mhz?

Its not stable, fails Prime95 within about 1 min.

im still running prime95 @ 900mhz no problem, (about 10 min now...)
No errors or warnings.

Thanks for any info or tweak ideas.

I cant believe i didnt notice this earlier!!

Athlon x2 memory dividers are exactly half of the cpu multiplier!

and athlon x2 memory controller doesnt work with 'broken' dividers,

it rounds UP

so 14.5x multiplier / 2 = cpu/7.25 (broken divider), so it rounds up to cpu /8

=)

so when i get my 1066 ram, (assuming it will overclock to 1100... i hope it will... i would assume it should considering my ddr800 made it to ddr900)

i will try to make these settings work:
3336mhz core
(278mhz FSB, 12x multiplier)
556mhz ram (cpu/6) DDR2 1112 @ 5-5-5-15 (or tighter if i can push it)
1112mhz HT link

1.456v Vcore
2.3v memory (or close to it)
(not sure on the rest of the voltages, so this is what its set to in bios)
NB +.09v (to cope with the high FSB)
SB/HT +.09v (to deal with the 112mhz HT link overclock)

(everything is working, i've tested all voltages, and HT link up to 1150mhz, and it works perfect @ 1150.)
(FSB works fine with the voltage bumps, @ 278mhz ***i lowered ram to 400ddr, and multiplier to 10 for testing)

This will effectively give me the absolute best performance i can hope for out of this system.

This is also the best performance i am going to get out of ANY current amd (discounting the 6400+ black edition, no idea what that thing can do, but im willing to give it a shot in a few weeks i'll probably buy it)

=) good, *evil grin*

i can feel a super-pi AMD record coming=)

**** by the way hussein check your Private Messages, you lazy ***

DDR2-1066 is pretty good, though you need a Phenom to run it natively (1:2.66 HTT:RAM)
DDR2-1066.PNG

this is stock for this RAM (4 x 2GB G.Skill Pi) - this 9600 BE (early B2) doesn't really like overclocking much, especially with an SB600 board. so I'll need a Deneb to really see what the RAM can do.
RichM499 said:
This is also the best performance i am going to get out of ANY current amd (discounting the 6400+ black edition, no idea what that thing can do, but im willing to give it a shot in a few weeks i'll probably buy it)
one thing to note: the 6400+, although it's a "black edition", has a locked multiplier. (it was the first "black edition" processor from AMD, so they probably didn't think of making unlocked multipliers till later)
But, if you've got the right motherboard and cooling, with semi-descent RAM, it can get 3.5

i am fairly certain i'll get 556 out of it with the settings i posted up there^ =)

(well i guess i wont be getting the 6400...... this 5400 is already running @ 3300-3350mhz no problem... and a POTENTIAL 150mhz jump just isnt worth the cash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom