Athlon CPU maybe DOA??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milt

Beta member
Ok, I got my new DFI lanparty board. I got an athlon CPU to go with it. Socket 939. It slipped into place flawlessly. I got the fan installed over it. When I start the computer with nothing but the motherboard and the chip hooked up, it gives me the CPU not detected error.

On DFI there are 4 red indicator lights on the motherboard. When the first one goes off that means that the startup is ok. Whe nthe next one goes off that means the CPU is detected. The 2nd one just never goes off.

I guess my chip could be a DOA? Does that happen often with Athlon? Like I said, there were no problems with the installation. I used the silver thermal stuff and the fan came with the processor; it works fine.

Is there anything I could've missed?

Thanks.

If the CPU isnt being detected it could either be a motherboard problem or a CPU problem. Do you have any other CPU's that would fit that motherboard? Also make sure the CPU is turned the correct direction corresponding to the arrow on the placement pad.

I have no other CPUs that fit the mobo. Also I believe there is only one way the chip will actually lock into place, at least according to the chip directions.

GameGURU said:
If the CPU isnt being detected it could either be a motherboard problem or a CPU problem.

no $#!t, what else could it be, your phone's problem?:eek:

pc_boy said:
no $#!t, what else could it be, your phone's problem?:eek:

...that was pointless...

Any ways, it sounds like it is a problem with either of the two...I guess you could just return on in hopes of getting it right or both just to be sure.

What CPU is it? If it is one of the X2's than it will require a BIOS flash (It might be the same with the venice san diego, as if you got a winni when they first came out, it required a BIOS flash)

Do you have a friend who can lend them their CPU if they have a 939?

Also, did you plug in the 12v to the motherboard? As that is the CPU's power. (it's a 4 pin square one.)

Well, I just think it is odd you even can start it without Ram and a Video card in. Try doing that.

no $#!t, what else could it be, your phone's problem?
If you can't help the original poster and post for the sake of being rude, I suggest you find elseware to do so, this crap isn't tolerated here.

It's most likely your CPU, the motherboard wouldn't power up if it was DOA.

BTW a CPU can boot up with only the CPU, you'll get a post error right away since the BIOS won't detect any RAM

gaara said:
If you can't help the original poster and post for the sake of being rude, I suggest you find elseware to do so, this crap isn't tolerated here.

It's most likely your CPU, the motherboard wouldn't power up if it was DOA.

BTW a CPU can boot up with only the CPU, you'll get a post error right away since the BIOS won't detect any RAM

I thought the mobo would still power on even if the CPU was dead as long as it had sufficient power...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom