Athlon 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinG

Baseband Member
Hello there

I am looking to build a new computer to get away from my pos 1.7 ghz p4. I have found what im looking for the AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+ along with the K8V SE Deluxe. First of all is this a good set up so far ? This system would be for GAMING GAMING GAMING at a lower price. (also getting ATI 9800 Pro).

But this leaves me for ram... i no that it is recommened to use Corsair for ASUS boards... but if i can save 80 or so $ for the same results i would do it. So if you have any very good memory suggestion for my set up? (not including Corsair, im looking to get 1 GB of memory too)

Thanks alot

KevinG

And what type of Ram should i get ? the mobo that is shown above says it runs highest in DDR400 but i hear lots of people saying to get PC-3500. Also since the proccessor is windows compatable can i still run it in 64 bit or will i have to keep it at 32 bit ? and would it run nicer on windows or linux (although it is windows compatable) ??

Thanks again

kevinG said:
Hello there

I am looking to build a new computer to get away from my pos 1.7 ghz p4. I have found what im looking for the AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+ along with the K8V SE Deluxe. First of all is this a good set up so far ? This system would be for GAMING GAMING GAMING at a lower price. (also getting ATI 9800 Pro).

But this leaves me for ram... i no that it is recommened to use Corsair for ASUS boards... but if i can save 80 or so $ for the same results i would do it. So if you have any very good memory suggestion for my set up? (not including Corsair, im looking to get 1 GB of memory too)

Thanks alot

KevinG

ok um where to start. Im running PNY and kingston on mine. It works fine so. But dont get like a general type of ram. They dont last that long so.... But i mean... if you want to get a cheaper price ram then go for it. Um... as for the ram speed... The higher PC you get, the more money. But i have PC 2700 and it works fine... But you gotta see whats the max that you can go. Like mine is, PC 2700 but only for 2 slots. But if you go with 3500.. make sure it can handle it. Yes it is windows compatiable. You just need to get a special kind of windows. Its called like windows XP 64 or somthing. For 64 bit. I dont really know linux that well. But i dunno if linux can support a 64 bit.

I just built that exact same setup except with a 3000+ instead. I just bought corsair select memory at pc-3200 ddr400. It has been killer on games. I can run every single new game out with full settings and it doesnt skip a beat.

Monster00 said:
ok um where to start. Im running PNY and kingston on mine. It works fine so. But dont get like a general type of ram. They dont last that long so.... But i mean... if you want to get a cheaper price ram then go for it. Um... as for the ram speed... The higher PC you get, the more money. But i have PC 2700 and it works fine... But you gotta see whats the max that you can go. Like mine is, PC 2700 but only for 2 slots. But if you go with 3500.. make sure it can handle it. Yes it is windows compatiable. You just need to get a special kind of windows. Its called like windows XP 64 or somthing. For 64 bit. I dont really know linux that well. But i dunno if linux can support a 64 bit.

usually all DDR ram is backwards compatible, the main reasons why pc3500 and fast exist if for overclocking and the future. We're bound to have faster memory, these sticks provid compatibility with future hardware.....

And yes, you pay for it :p If you're not going to overclock pc3200 should be just fine..otherwise i'd got for a faster type...

Zipp080 said:
I just built that exact same setup except with a 3000+ instead. I just bought corsair select memory at pc-3200 ddr400. It has been killer on games. I can run every single new game out with full settings and it doesnt skip a beat.

Modern games depend more on the speed of ram and the speed/ram in the video card then the cpu and ammount of ram. I'd be able to run everything in extremely high settigns aswell if i had a 9800 XT :p

The built-in cpu controller gives ur framerate a swiftkick in the ass though >-)

ok, with memory, try to keep it in dual channels if you can, it will run smother that way. With Windows Xp, you can set it to run in 64 bit, although it may not run the best that way. by the end of 2004 there should be an update for windows xp to make it run smoothly with the 64 bit. Otherwise it looks as if everything else has been answered.

Ram is everything to your computer, if you want a good system, you cant cheap out and buy $100 stuff.

u can probley Dl it somewhere illegally.. or buy it off of ebay. But i dunno if u wanna do that.

Get as much ram as you can fit on your motherboard because certain ram will not be available in a few months time.

Hey all you guys thanks for the help. I have hoplefully one last question .... I am going to buy the pc stuff from newegg fir it has great shipping/customer sevice not to mention prices :). I want to get corsair memory for the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, but newegg does not offer corair in dual channel. As an alteritive should should i go with1 gig dual channel OCZ memory ? is that stuff any good ? or would i be better off just going with one gig of corair 3200 ?

Thank you once again
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom