Asus B85M-G power phases

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am asking in this section since overclockers would have the most experience and knowledge about power phases:

I have an Asus B85M-G motherboard, and an i7-4790 (non-K), and after doing some research I found that the Asus B85M-G only has 3 power phases (VRMs). I am using this pc for gaming and recording gameplay (using x264, hitting around 70-80% cpu usage), but do not plan on overclocking, will 3 power phases of the B85M-G be enough to supply the cpu with the power it needs? Can the board handle that without throttling the cpu? (due to heat from the power phases/not enough power from the power phases)

Are the higher power phase designs (4+1 etc) only meant for overclocking? What would the advantages in having more power phases be for non-overclockers?

Thank you for any help and clarification in advance.

Thank you for such a prompt reply. So the higher power phase designs (4+1 etc) are only meant for overclocking?

Higher power phases are meant for supporting higher wattages, not necessarily just for overclocking. For instance like back in the day when you had 95W Phenom 2 AMD processors vs 140W variants of the same chip that were older. Fast forward to today, you have quad core i7s on X299 all the way up to 18 core i9s that when overclocked can pull easily over 400W. The more power phases the smoother the power delivery to the processor for less vdroop, which in turn can benefit overclocking or in some cases help with turbo boost. THe +1 indicates how many phases are dedicated to the memory.

Thank you for your explanation. So for an 84 Watt chip like the i7-4790 (which sounds like it doesn't consume much power compared to the variants you listed), I wouldn't get a difference in performance if I had more power phases? Thanks once again for your assistance :)

Thank you for your explanation. So for an 84 Watt chip like the i7-4790 (which sounds like it doesn't consume much power compared to the variants you listed), I wouldn't get a difference in performance if I had more power phases? Thanks once again for your assistance :)
There will be 0 difference, and your chip consumes less power than that if you don't use the IGP.

I'm not using the IGP, I have a GTX980 Ti. Thanks once again for such a prompt reply, I really appreciate your support :) Keep it up :D

Back
Top Bottom