ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help! - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help!

Burn test or stress test. Which ever one loads your GPU to 100%. That's all you need.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Burn test or stress test. Which ever one loads your GPU to 100%. That's all you need.
Ok I ran a few of the stress tests which put the GPU to 100% and the power to over 100% and it was stable with the little overclock I have. I checked the PSU exhaust while running all of those stress tests on the GPU and it never got warm and the GPU never went above 40c. I'll run the GPU and CPU tests together tonight. Do I need to allocate some ram to the GPU test or should I select all again on LinX while testing the GPU at the same time? Maybe like 3/4 of total ram for LinX and then run GPU tests at the same time while LinX runs?

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

Also, what is the best test to determine a stable OC on your GPU? I saw there is an option for an OC stress test so I'm guessing that? Just bump the core clock up slowly until it's stable then test the memory clock next? I've heard that you want to test the core clock first then the memory after and not both at the same time...?
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttzu View Post
Ok I ran a few of the stress tests which put the GPU to 100% and the power to over 100% and it was stable with the little overclock I have. I checked the PSU exhaust while running all of those stress tests on the GPU and it never got warm and the GPU never went above 40c. I'll run the GPU and CPU tests together tonight. Do I need to allocate some ram to the GPU test or should I select all again on LinX while testing the GPU at the same time? Maybe like 3/4 of total ram for LinX and then run GPU tests at the same time while LinX runs?
You've pretty much proven it isn't a hardware issue. I wouldn't spend more than 15 to 20 minutes on the combined test because tbh as of right now it's a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttzu View Post
Also, what is the best test to determine a stable OC on your GPU? I saw there is an option for an OC stress test so I'm guessing that? Just bump the core clock up slowly until it's stable then test the memory clock next? I've heard that you want to test the core clock first then the memory after and not both at the same time...?
With Boost 1.0 it's hard because of the dynamic clocks being adjusted due to TDP. The best way to test is look for artifacting. If it's too much of a clock without sufficient volts it'll just crash. Then again, I'm not exactly sure why you're going through so much trouble to play a game originally released in 2004. I know they've made some changes but they aren't anything compared to the power of a 680.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

Good point on the overclocking on the 680. I'll just bump it up a little more and be happy with that. I stream my games so would the GPU play into that a lot or is it more on the Internet speed and CPU? My internet is 55 down and 12 up.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Build Guru

You have a good rig, streaming is pretty much all down to your upload speed, which is fine. Like I've said before, you don't technically have to OC at all.

Access to my Plex PM me.