ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
It's possible, but I doubt it. Not unless you've gone through some bad storms or your PSU was abused in that way. Mine is an older model too and I damn near blew it up trying to pull a retarded amount of power through it, but it still chugs. If you feel you should replace it, go ahead, to have a new unit before the warranty is up.
Running LinX right now... 5 passes in out of 10 at "All" for RAM and the CPU is running in the mid 50's and the PSU exhaust feels fine... I've not had storms come through and I've taken very good care of my stuff. The only thing that might possibly have ****ed it up is when I do a leak test and do the PSU paperclip trick to turn it on and off. I've only done that 3 times to this PSU. LinX passes take forever at high problem sizes ugh I wanna play WoW lol... Thanks for helping with this though man, I appreciate it!
__________________

__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttzu View Post
Running LinX right now... 5 passes in out of 10 at "All" for RAM and the CPU is running in the mid 50's and the PSU exhaust feels fine... I've not had storms come through and I've taken very good care of my stuff. The only thing that might possibly have ****ed it up is when I do a leak test and do the PSU paperclip trick to turn it on and off. I've only done that 3 times to this PSU. LinX passes take forever at high problem sizes ugh I wanna play WoW lol... Thanks for helping with this though man, I appreciate it!
What about GPU testing as well?

Doing the paper clip thing is fine. I do it myself. I had to do that when benching the SLI 580s and 5GHz CPU clock because I had to split my rig to two different PSUs. Easiest way, leave paper clip in and use the switch for off/on.

And NP.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
What about GPU testing as well? Doing the paper clip thing is fine. I do it myself. I had to do that when benching the SLI 580s and 5GHz CPU clock because I had to split my rig to two different PSUs. Easiest way, leave paper clip in and use the switch for off/on. And NP.
I'm testing with LinX on "All" memory since I didn't do that last time. I'll test the GPU next. Also, dumb question but I'm guessing I need to have my case fans running at normal day to day RPM's to get a realistic temp idea correct?
__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttzu View Post
I'm testing with LinX on "All" memory since I didn't do that last time. I'll test the GPU next. Also, dumb question but I'm guessing I need to have my case fans running at normal day to day RPM's to get a realistic temp idea correct?
Yea probably.

If you want to test the real load on the PSU, test the GPU individually and if that doesn't seem bad you need to add the CPU too. If you have no problems, it's definitely software.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Yea probably. If you want to test the real load on the PSU, test the GPU individually and if that doesn't seem bad you need to add the CPU too. If you have no problems, it's definitely software.
Just ran 10 passes on Linux with full memory = 14500... Almost 3 hours of testing and the temps were in the mid 50's and it passed so it shouldn't be the CPU or memory. I checked the PSU exhaust and it never got warm. On to testing the GPU and then both the CPU and GPU at the same time. I'll post those results once finished.
__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help!

Another thing to remember, is testing the CPU and RAM also confirms motherboard stability as well. 4.1 is a mild overclock, I doubted it would be that, and I doubt it's the PSU too. I still think it's software.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Another thing to remember, is testing the CPU and RAM also confirms motherboard stability as well. 4.1 is a mild overclock, I doubted it would be that, and I doubt it's the PSU too. I still think it's software.
Yeah I'm leaning towards that as well... Would you suggest another HX850 for a new PSU? Yeah 3 hours of testing with full memory... If there was an issue I'm guessing I would have seen it.
__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 shutdown, need help!

Nah, I don't think it's your PSU at all.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Nah, I don't think it's your PSU at all.
I guess I'll just bank that $160 and use it for something else then lol. Too tired and been playing WoW, no crashes, so I'll run GPU test tomorrow and then CPU+GPU as well.
__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Guttzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 372
Default

What Kombustor test do you suggest I run? I see a GF OC Test (GL4) and some others... Suggestions?
__________________

__________________
Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Guttzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.