Artifacts - What exactly are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
I flashed my GPU's (8800 GTS 320MB) bios with a 600 MHZ CORE and a 1030 MHZ Memory speed, but when I do the ATITOOL Artifact check, I see at anytime 1-5 little pixel artifacts... what does this mean? I know it means that its a relatively unstable artifact, but being that they are a pixel in size (literally) is it fine? Max temperature is below 70, usually 63-68 and so I'm well enough on temperature, so it must just be a GPU limitation?

Will leaving these speeds on damage the GPU or have any other side effect?

Also... my 8800 GTS is only giving me around 80 FPS with all maxed settings on Counter-Strike: Source while with all low settings the FPS drops to 60 FPS... what is going on? This is mediocre performance when I should be getting 150+ FPS? When I check the GPU temperature, its only around 56, indicating that its near idle and probably only working at 25-65%

why.... can anyone help me?

Artifacts are just visual defects in still or moving images. It maybe that your graphic card is overclocked too high. Try backing down 10MHz at a time, until you see no artifacts at all.

hmm... well after leaving the artifact checker on for 10 minutes... they disappeared?

will they cause any damage to the GPU or is it fine to have it and just personal preference?

I don't think it will damage, but why would you want artifacts, during your movies or games?

well

A) I'm too lazy to have to reflash the bios... had problems doing it the first time where it wouldn't clock to the right rates...

B) I never noticed them while playing any games

any ideas on why my graphics card isn't reaching optimal performance during CSS? I'm going to try some other games soon, but I'm playing the COD4 beta right now

Try reinstalling drivers, or installing the latest drivers, for your graphic card. What resolution are you playing games at? And what is your CPU? Overclocked?

1440x900 or w/e it is, I'm getting the same performance I had on my old 8600 GT...

anyways, I'll reinstall drivers in an hour or so and my CPU is an AMD 64 X2 4200+ running at 2.2 GHZ, not overclocked (normally I do, but I had to clear my CMOS cuz of some error :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom