ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro not lowering CPU temp. from stock cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngflyer12

Solid State Member
Hello, let me first go over my system. I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 Processor with a GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard. For some time, I was using the stock cooler for my CPU. After running the BOINC Manager for SETI@Home, I used SpeedFan to reveal my load temps hovering around the 50-52 C range. I have tried using Everest, but it doesn't seem compatible with my system. I received a new ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler for Christmas and installed it without a hitch. I kept the factory thermal paste on it because I also use the Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound. After installation, I haven't noticed any drop in temp. Using SpeedFan, my load temp remains around 49 C. I am wondering if I need to reapply the thermal compound or maybe SpeedFan isn't very accurate... The only fan reading for SpeedFan is at 687 RPM. I am also running Windows Vista 32-bit edition. Thank you for reading this post. If you need any additional information, just ask.

Did you remove the thermal paste that was already on your CPU? Basic question, but an important one.

687 RPM? That's pretty slow for a CPU fan. Have you tried upping it any?

Heh, my freezer pro doesnt even spin the fan on my e2180. My guess is that it didn't get seated correctly.

Try connecting the fan power cable to a different 3 pin slot on the motherboard.

If that was in reference to me, it spins sometimes, but it passively cools the e2180 well enough that the fan doesnt have to spin up. Stays around 20C at idle when the fan is off.

Did you remove the thermal paste that was already on your CPU? Basic question, but an important one.

687 RPM? That's pretty slow for a CPU fan. Have you tried upping it any?
I would be really embarrassed if I didn't remove the old compound. In fact, I used the Arctic Silver remover and emulsifier. It was great stuff if anybody is thinking about using it.

I thought that 687 RPM was also slow. After a couple of hours, I'm now seeing the RPMs at about 758 or 910 And I have never tried changing anything in BIOS.
Heh, my freezer pro doesnt even spin the fan on my e2180. My guess is that it didn't get seated correctly.
On startup, my fan doesn't even spin either. Only after a couple programs run does it finally kick in. But I am also thinking that I didn't seat is properly or something.
Try connecting the fan power cable to a different 3 pin slot on the motherboard.
The power cable is actually a 4 pin and it is the only place to plug it in.

A alright , like on my Zalman !
WAIT I HAD this problem ! On my Gigabyte S2 mATX board i used the zalman and i ran really slow but when i got my P5B back it ran at full speed maybe the fan is causing stress or something on the board, or something.

A alright , like on my Zalman !
WAIT I HAD this problem ! On my Gigabyte S2 mATX board i used the zalman and i ran really slow but when i got my P5B back it ran at full speed maybe the fan is causing stress or something on the board, or something.
So like the massive size of the cooler is putting a lot of stress on the sensors or something? I don't even know how I would test that or fix it. The information on newegg says that the fan's RPM are 900-2200 and that is with a PWM chip to "keep it running efficiently." Maybe I could just disable that PWM chip and do it manually.

Thermal Paste takes time to "cure", Re-seat the HS just to be sure, use an alchohol substance to remove left over residue from the old thermal paste, slap that baby on then wait around (well dont literally wait :p) and that paste should be cured and your temps should be lower, what paste are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom