applying thermal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
i was having major over heating issues with my P4 3.0Ghz machine and managed to fix the problem for a few days by buying and applying some 99% silver thermal compound. i cleaned off all the old compound, and put the new stuff on per the instructions and it worked great for about 3 days.

i was expecting it to get better as the instructions mentioned something like 100-200 hours before the compound reached optimal thermal conductivity...

however this morning my fiance was looking at a couple images and Mother Board monitor said i was up to 84* celsius and the alarm started beeping. since i "fixed" the problem it had been staying cooler, like 75.

did i do something wrong?

exactly what bill said, you appear to having much bigger issues with cooling then with thermal compound. Even running at 60c is high for my standards, i would never run at any temps above that!

i've read some stuff in the last few days that lead me to believe the stock heat sink that comes with the p4 is crap. so i've ordered a "high performance" replacement...

what else should i do to cool things down?

Install some new fans, get a side door with lots of holes, overall might wana get a good case.

I have 6 fans + 3 cpu fans, a giant vacoum like thing $ucking air from the side door, I have modded both side doors so they have these 30CM fans blowing air in and out. Also i keep my room freidge hooked through the inside. MY CPU TEMP NEVER GOES OVER 31C, usually stayes at a good 19-25C. I consider 30 A VERY VERY HIGH TEMP.

Well 70C, i would freak out and go nuts! Get more and better fans.

it is a P4 (prescott core), and they are notorious for having very high temps.

i would take a look at some of the Zalman coolers.

thanks for the help guys... i had no idea how far out of range even my "cool" temperatures were.

I installed my Cooler Master copper heatpipe-y thing and i am now at 38* even while watching videos, which is what used to make it overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom