Anyone here overclocked a Intel Q9450 before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah I wasn't making a joke, I would just set the vcore to your max comfortable limit, then set a stupid high clock and work backwards til its stable. Then see if you can knock the vcore down a bit.

I would keep it under 1.4v

use realtemp for 45nm intel chips. Coretemp gives you measurements 10 degrees too high because of the tmax they use (105). Realtemp uses tmax (95). I have a link somewhere i can find when i get back home.

definitely keep it under 1.4 if your idle temps at stock are that high....

if a chip is going to do a high overclock, its gonna do it the first time you try it (with maybe a few minor tweaks) just as well as it would the second or third...if you just got the chip you need to burn it in before you try some crazy overclock, cos it will likely just fail...for example my e8400 would not run 3.8 at 1.25v until after i burned it a day or two, now it does it no sweat. a couple days worth is good enough...high voltage, hot cpu is the way i look at it...some people dont do it. gurusan's idea of setting the vcore up and going for a high fsb (500 fsb...? = NO WAY lol it aint gonna post 500 without some pretty good tweaking *ram NB SB line-load PLL etc etc*, if even then depending on your mobo etc etc). just make sure to adjust your ram speed.
i'd go 1.3V, 400-450 FSB first shot keep ram at/under rated speed and see what happens. keep an eye on those temps, cos i can assure once they go past the limit of the cooler (if they do) they are gonna go up REAL fast.

Plus his VID is pretty good (kind of high for a 45nm... )

But he should still get pretty far, expecting his Multiplier not limit him

on a 45nm cpu, 1.35vcore is not as low as it would be on a 65nm, like your e6600, and my q6600.

Eastwood, do you have $35 laying around? You would benfit from an aftermarket heatsink because those idle temps are terrible, although to be expected from a stock intel heatsink.

I ordered a Xigmatek S1283, it'll probably get here by Wednesday of next week. I got the Artic Silver compound too, which should help.

Plus his VID is pretty good (kind of high for a 45nm... )

But he should still get pretty far, expecting his Multiplier not limit him

Multiplier is limited at 8.

I don't quite understand this VID thing. So if I raise the FSB I have to raise the VID? How do I know how much to raise it?

Multiplier is limited at 8.

I don't quite understand this VID thing. So if I raise the FSB I have to raise the VID? How do I know how much to raise it?

I know

It'll probably limit your overclock though, unless you have a board that can go really high FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom