anybody made there own CPU cooler ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default anybody made there own CPU cooler ?

I was wondering if anyone here has made there own heatsink for the cpu ? I have access to lots of metal working facilities and CAD machines and also laser cutters capable of cutting metal, all at my school.

I was interested in making my own CPU cooler just for a bit of fun, but i would like it to be atleast functionable. Is it possible to make a good one or am i wasting my time ? I am not expecting it to be as good as aftermarket coolers, but to get one as good as a stock intel cooler would be pretty cool

Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj
Default Re: anybody made there own CPU cooler ?

I'm sure you could make your standard heatsink out of a block of aluminum but if you want to get crazy then you'd have to get heat pipes and cut a bunch of aluminum fins and solder then together

Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Just strap a massive block of copper to it. Maybe cut a fin or two into it while you are at it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

Unlikely unless your an engineering genius you need to think of air turbulence over the fins and materials as copper comes in different grades.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Yes yes. But it all seems pretty logical to me. I can put it in a smoke tunnel to check hot air doesn't linger around when the fan is activated etc. Just be a bit of trial and error
Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Patron

Expensive trial and error a block of copper or aluminium isn't cheap and the most conductive metal so the best material to use would be silver . If you going to go through with it make your mock ups for shape from cheap iron scrap then the cost is low
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

How about the tin can dry ice pot?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

To get one as good as the stock Intel one really wouldn't be that hard. All you'd need to do is get a chunk of copper and mill out some fins and fan tabs, and it should perform at least as good as the stock Intel one.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

To get a operational heat sink theres no complications around it. You'll need to look at some possible designs of other heat sinks first tho, I've seen heat sinks that look like medevil meat pulpers and they still seem to do the job.

If you want to make a cheap and easy heat sink you should be thinking about fins.. about 15 fins evenly spaced on a 8 x 8 cm block of copper. with fans mounts at the top. nothing will go past 70oC so you can use plastics as mounts for the fan.

If you want to go a bit more technical, try and achive a passive heat sink, this is where the fan is mounted on the side on the heat sink blowing air over the processor this requires thiner fins.

When mounting your heat sink onto the mother board try and go for the easery options of making a frame that will be able to screw into the motherboard, as the bit of plastics that holds the heat sink to the motherboard can be screwed off. You could have spring loaded screws to save mesuring how far up the processor is from the board and getting it right.

If you have all the tools there this would be fairly simple job.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
Expensive trial and error a block of copper or aluminium isn't cheap and the most conductive metal so the best material to use would be silver . If you going to go through with it make your mock ups for shape from cheap iron scrap then the cost is low
The school has lots of metal, sure, technically i'm not allowed to use it without paying. But they wouldn't notice

Thanks guys, i'm really going to give this a shot if i can get the time at school.

I am a little unsure how i will attatch it to the motherboard but i will figure something out.