anybody made there own CPU cooler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, i just had like a crazy idea of attaching a really long rod to the heatsink with 40 mm fans in a few spots, also obviously with fins though. Hmm, i should make it in paint. Would probably work well. Just would look pretty bad lol.

I have an idea, it's extravagent and probably hard to make, and inefficient. But the design is nice in my head :p

If you want to go a bit more technical, try and achive a passive heat sink, this is where the fan is mounted on the side on the heat sink blowing air over the processor this requires thiner fins.

Uh, say what?

Passive means it uses no fan. It is cooled by the ambient moving air. It has nothing to do with fin thickness.

copper is cheaper than you think!

take all your old electronics, take the copper out of the wires :D:D

melt it down ;)

Uh, say what?

Passive means it uses no fan. It is cooled by the ambient moving air. It has nothing to do with fin thickness.

Well... all heatsinks are "passive" really? Active heatsinks would use power to move the heat, say, by using a peltier device.

didn't even catch that,

Passive is not a fan and just a block heatsink. The heatsink does not cool nearly as good as an active heatsink but it is quite. Active has a heatsink (usually with more fins and such) that has a fan attached to it.

No, not all heatsinks are passive, there is not thinking to be done with that, they either are or they are not. Generally speaking they are in the way you are looking at it, just one is using a fan to disperse heat from it, but they are called different names for a reason. One is passive, the other is Active.

Just take a Hamster wheel and install a fan on the side.. then buy several hamsters (incase one goes bad) then feed them red bull and Pez ( if your planning on OC'in it) or just straight Diet coke should work for stock speeds. and VOILA.

To clear this up

Active heatsink: A component is used to physically remove the heat this can be a fan blowing through the fins or a peltier cooler which would need a fan on the "hot" side of the chip

Passive: no moving parts these are often very efficent coolers with the added benefit of being silent some come with attachments to allow for active cooling. The Thermaltake Ultra 120 series is an example of this the fan is optional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom