any way to get an independant power source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyotaka

In Runtime
Ideas on independant power supply...

I'd rather not chuck out $200 for a 650 watt Power supply.. is there any custom ones out there or very small 200wattish that will Mount somewhere on my case*, with on/off switch.. or any recomondations somone can make to buy a cheapo and mod it with an on/off switch ?

I want an independant power supply i can run my Water cooling, cathode lights, and casefans off of so the curent PWS won't freakout when i OC the board high.

Ok.. think i came up with a good idea but what's the chance I'd short something with this?

I know the way to cause a PSU to power up without a mobo. by crossing two pins with paperclip.. my though is i'll build a box around the PSU and cut holes for it to breathe/vents

have one cord coming out of it to my PC ( ihave a PCI slot bracket for giving power to external devices.. I just switch it around.... It shall turn 1 4 pin molex into three

I solder the pwr on things on the PSU to wires..
Run the wires to some sort of box (altoid sized probably but weighted down and non conductive)
get a pluger switch (the one that sticks down until pushed again not the momentary kind)
then also Put a LED on the box (well the psu and fans would be give aways but.. that would be darn nifty anyhow (geek thing) and i'll put the box under my moniter

My concern is thish HIGHLY likely to damage the psu or the components?

OK, your thread is very confusing, things like altoid boxes and electronic componets DON'T MIX, lol, why dont you piggy back the 2 power turn on leads from one p/s to the other, then both will turn on at once. and those are the colors that are in the plug as well so you should not have a problem.
3.JPG

then you can run those wires out the back of your pc, like you were going to do with the molex and then run them to you second p/s. this would be the best and most safe way to switch the p/s on and off along with your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom