Any tips for PSU cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I don't get the logic here.

The more efficiently you cool the PSU the faster the room will heat up...after all with air cooling all you are doing is displacing the heat from the components into the surroundings.

If your room is too hot you need to concentrate on a way to move the heat OUT of the room, not make the heat source dissipation more efficient! Open a window and place a fan blowing out.

Silly kids! :p

lol, obviously the window is open and and the ceiling fan is DEFINITELY on :p

I understand that if the PSU stays at the same heat, getting better fans won't make my room cooler.

My logic here is since it's cooling more efficiently, there will be less heat just idly floating around in the PSU allowing the heatsink to pick up heat more efficiently from the circuit board, and then PSU will become cooler. When the PSU becomes cooler there will be less heat, the fans will then not be blowing as much heat as before with the less efficient fans. That is my theory, if I'm blatantly wrong, please point that out to me.

Oh, btw gurusan, how is your memory at 1138 mhz? Are you running a divider on your memory?

lol, obviously the window is open and and the ceiling fan is DEFINITELY on :p

I understand that if the PSU stays at the same heat, getting better fans won't make my room cooler.

My logic here is since it's cooling more efficiently, there will be less heat just idly floating around in the PSU allowing the heatsink to pick up heat more efficiently from the circuit board, and then PSU will become cooler. When the PSU becomes cooler there will be less heat, the fans will then not be blowing as much heat as before with the less efficient fans. That is my theory, if I'm blatantly wrong, please point that out to me.

Oh, btw gurusan, how is your memory at 1138 mhz? Are you running a divider on your memory?

Yeah your theory is a bit messed up I think ;)

Think about it like this...when your system is loaded the power supply will be putting out a set amount of heat, say 300 watts ALWAYS. That's 300 joules per second. If you add another fan to the PSU, 300 joules are still being emitted by the PSU, but you are able to draw more of it away from the PSU so the PSU temp drops. I think your error is that you are associating this drop with a drop in room temps...yet think about WHERE the 300 joules go every second...they go into your room!

So basically, how efficiently you cool the PSU has no effect on the amount of heat it's putting out as that number is basically constant when the system is under load. Add all the fans you want to the PSU and it will do nothing for the room temperature (except heat it up faster! lol since you are just moving heat faster from the PSU into the surroundings)

What you ideally want to do is drop your room temps...so just focus on ejecting the heat from your room. Like I said before, a fan blowing OUT of the room in a windowsill will help quite a lot.

Or talk to your parents and either demand a 50k lexus of your own or the privilege to use the AC. :)

As for my memory....yeah it's a divider my bus speed is 455....the bios menu on my Asus board allows me to run it at 455mhz, 910mhz, or 1138mhz...and something higher than that which obviously would not be stable.

Ah ok, I see then. Well I guess I'll just have to deal with it for the summer as I have to save up for another year of college :(

We have similar OC's on our stuff lol, I was also able to get my CPU up to 3.185, haven't changed the sig, however my gpu memory doesn't like going that high, did you do the pencil mod?

Ah ok, I see then. Well I guess I'll just have to deal with it for the summer as I have to save up for another year of college :(

We have similar OC's on our stuff lol, I was also able to get my CPU up to 3.185, haven't changed the sig, however my gpu memory doesn't like going that high, did you do the pencil mod?

no but it's a KO superclocked which comes stock at 1.5v I believe. Max stable OC i've had on it is 720/920 actually...but it gets a bit toasty.

Impressive. I did a volt mod on mine and have the VF900 which keeps it under 60 while playing, I guess I could give it more volts since the temps are low.

open a window lol, my psu...well my whole computer system lets out so much hot air its unreal, and i cant seem to cool it, soo uhhhh......just open a window and all will be well lol.
cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6800 2.93GHz
Ram: Crucial 12GB (3x4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5
hdd: PowerVault LTO-4-120 and Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB 10,000RPM SCSI 8MB Cache
cooling: Zalman Reserator2 Fanless Water Cooling System
psu: Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU.
gfx:pNY Quadro FX5500 1GB 256-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 with
optical: 2x LiteOn BD-R/RE Blu-Ray SATA DVD Writer

GAMING BUILD;(overclocked)
case: Zalman HD160XT-B
mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Ram: Crucial 4GB (1x4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5
optical: 2x LiteOn BD-R/RE Blu-Ray SATA DVD Writer
gfx: (2x) BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 With SLi
cooling: Zalman Reserator2 Fanless Water Cooling System
hdd: (2x) Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB 10,000RPM SCSI 8MB Cache
psu: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 550W

If your computer is putting that much hot air in the room, then you can be glad that your cooling system is doing what it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom