Any specific order to overclocking CPU, Memory, and GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
Is there a specific order in which I need to do these? I'm guessing that you would want to do CPU before memory, but is it ok to do the GPU first? It seems like the easiest, but I'm wondering if it's a situation where upping the CPU might then lead to the GPU becoming overburdened if it's already been overclocked to the max.

The gpu and the cpu are basically 2 different things.

They also don't really cause each other issues, so do which everfirst.

Only really when benchmARking do the 2 come together, but the cpu testing draws only on the cpu...

You overclock the cpu and memory at the same time. Actually it's best to set your memory to it's rated speed, or as close as you can get it, with every cpu speed adjustment you make. The i7 creates a tremendous amount of Memory Bandwidth so "overclocking" the memory really isn't needed. In fact, overclocking your memory will generally reduce your cpu overclock, which will decrease your memory bandwidth more than a "memory" overclock can compensate for.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

Is that the case even when the motherboard supports the memory overclock? In other words, I kind of sort of understand why it might bottleneck if the motherboard is only rated to support DDR3 1333, but if my motherboard supports DDR3 2000, I guess I'm getting lost lol.

what the mother board can support and what the memory its self can be overclocked to without impacting the performance of the processor are 2 entirely different things.

do as slaymate said, keep your ram as close to stock settings as your overclock will allow you, so if you have 1600 ram, do your best to keep it at 1600. and to be honest, overclocking your ram will yeild ZERO performance increase in real world applications/gamming. you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between 12 gigs of 1066 to 12 gigs 2133 ram speeds. DDR3 ram is just so **** fast and effiecent, overclocking it really doesn't make any sense. itd be like making a downhill drag strip for top fuel dragsters.

also, dont forget to run the benchmarks in the benchmark threads before you do any overclocking... or else you wont be able to tell the difference. ;) also we need more people to particpate in the benchmark threads soooo.... go go go go!

Ok, I misunderstood... by not overclocking, I assumed he meant stay at 1333 (since that seems to be the "standard"). Since my memory is rated at 2000, I need to stay near 2000... THAT makes sense lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom