any one a watercooling expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAXIMILIAN

In Runtime
I am in the process of buying the parts for my new water cooled pc. What radiator would you guys recomend, I was looking at this setup from voyeurmods but i was told that 1. the radiator sucks, and 2. i should not trust voyeurmods.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Peace
Maximilian

Head down to your local autoshop and ask them to get you a 1977 Pontiac Bonneville heatercore...then head down to your local hardware store and get yourself a dremel, some 3/4" to 5/8" hose adapters and some JBweld

Take your heatercore home and test for leaks by filling it with water, covering one barb with your thumb, and blowing into the other barb...if it bubbles out of the fins you've got a leak problem and should return it for another one

If you have no leaks, proceed to cutting off the existing barbs with the dremel and using the JBweld to cold weld the adapter barbs on...let it dry for a day or so and you are ready to go with your own custom modded heatercore

This simple mod will cost about $30 for the heatercore and maybe $10-20 for the barbs and JBweld, and will perform better than existing $100+ radiators

I suggest the 5/8" barbs as they'll provide better flowrate and you should be able to slide 1/2" tubing onto them by running it under some warm water for a minutes...plus they'll reduce the chance of any leaks happening...you can use 1/2" barbs if you want though

If you can't find the bonneville, the 1978(?) Impala/Caprice heatercore will work about as good as the bonneville

Refer to our watercooling sticky for more detailed information on this procedure

wasup garra.
This sounds very intersting but it also sounds very tricky and possibly risky.

how would this compare to mounting 2 blackice III's ?

well, in a radiator, you have the water flowing through a section of tubing which stretched across the radiator, whereas a heatercore the water in distributed through hundreds on small fins which cover more surface areas...therefore thermal dissipation on a heatercore will be greater than that of a radiator

I'd say the heatercore would perform better, and like I said, much cheaper as well, plus no doubt you're adding a lot of resistance to your water loop

The mod is very easy to accomplish, it was the first time I've done anything like it and it went off easily, Nubius who is also a member also did the same mod for the first time at about the same time as me

IMGA0520.jpg

There's mine, it took me about an hour to do and I didn't feel like I was struggling with the mod at any point while I did it

If you still don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, head over to xtremesystems.org and find a guy named "weapon", for about $80 he'll mod the heatercore for you and throw in a shroud and a nice paint job...I was originally going to buy one from him until I located the guide to doing the same mod yourself and decided to save my money and do it myself

The heatercore they'll selling up there is a quad-fan heatercore similar to weapons monstercore...they're selling it with the MCP655 D5 pump which IMO isn't strong enough to push your water through at an acceptable flow rate

The quad heatercores are huge and create a huge resistance in your loop as the water has to travel through A LOT of fins...in that case you're looking at getting an Iwaki pump which can start to get quite expensive

I can't comment on the heatercore dangerden sells, I would suspect it is a good choice however the custom one with the 5/8" barbs will yield higher flow rates

It's really up to you, it's not a bad choice at all should you choose to go that route

first off, thanks for giving me so much of your time and knowledge bro. :D

I am biulding this case for showcasing and for simply the fun of biulding it. I know that i am going to have atleast 5 blocks total, and i was planing to either put together 3(dual heater cores) or 2(blackice III's) either way 6 fans :D which one would you go with if either lol.

Also what kind of pump and how many resovours will i need?

Thanks bro
-Maximilian

Er...a bit overkill don't you think? The only two components that get hot enough to warrant watercooling are the CPU and GPU...northbridge, memory, VRAM and hard drive simply don't need water to stay cool and it's both a waste of money and hinders performance of your loop

For CPU and GPU, you're fine with one dual heatercore, anything more overkill and will added unneeded resistance to your loop and again hinder performance

You need one reservoir, again, any more is silly and overkill...pump you're looking at Bonnevill + TDX + Maze4 setup a D5 is more than enough, however if you're looking for the best Iwakis have the best flow of any pump

over kill. yes. but cool. lol.

although it may be an overkill, for the visual apeal i would be willing to pay an extra 80 bills.

but if i do do this which way would you recomend i do it?

Thanks again dawg
-Maximilian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom