Wigdean

Solid State Member
Just built a PC for the first time, with the following parts:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
ASUS A7v8x-x motherboard
256mb PC2700 DDR Ram
64mb ATi Radeon 9200SE
80GB IMB HDD

I've added in a CD-RW, DVD drive, floppy and also an old 8gb HDD which will be the primary HDD.

Everything is plugged in and ready to go. When the PC is switched on it comes upto the screen which lists all the components and then it stops loading and after 5 minutes asks for a System Disk.

Any ideas why it's doing this? It does it with just the old HDD in, both of them in or just the new one in.

Thanks.

have you installed the an OS yet? Also, do you have the Jumpers set correctly for master slave or Cabel select?
Make sure you have the Bios configured to also referenc the correct drive ot boot from. Check boot order, if you are installing a fresh OS, then have your CDrom set to boot prior to you HDD and Floppy first if you need it.
Just a few ideas for you...

Yea, you need to ensure your jumpered right and your bios setting are correct then youll wanna format tha HD if you havent yet. If youre set to boot from CD, then go ahead with the OS install. If not do the floppy boot. You can set it whichever way you need to thru the bios.

Forgot to mention that the old HDD already has Win98 installed. :D

When you boot it up, no matter which HDD is in (even when both are in) I get the "Invalid System Disk" and then when you put in a boot disk it says that the disk is wrong, or something similar.

I have WinXp here, which I bought for the PC only to be told that the guy didn't want XP on the system. I think the only option I have which will be easiest to do is stick the XP CD in and go from there. He'll have to have XP. :D

The OS that you have installed is all setup for your old hardware so you need to reinstall for it in order to work properly. Go ahead with XP, it is a very stable platform for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom