Any electronic component buffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Do we have any of these guys here? Need to know what exactly I melted off my board and wondering if I can replace it or use the board without it.

dscn1715.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2533/dscn1715y.jpg

Looks like a surface mount capacitor, most likely a decoupling capacitor. You may be able to use the board without it. You would need a capacitance meter to determine what value it is, and if the original was lost you would have to sample readings from another one. You can buy them from online component stores (Digi Key, Mouser, etc) but that is going to be a really tricky soldering job even if you have the right parts and a fine-tip soldering iron. I had the same happen to an Xbox 360, I resoldered the part but it was still having problems (not sure if it was caused by the capacitor or not). Try it without it before you worry about replacing it, there is a chance it will still work.

I have, but the board had other problems as well and I'm trying to just go down the list to figure out what is causing a no post. I'm trying to get ahold of Shammy to figure out exactly what the part does and what it's value is.

Also, when I tried using the board with this piece missing my CPU started to smell like fried electronics and I now have a little burnt spot in the socket. I'd say I'm lucky my CPU still works lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom