Any CPU and Mobo suggests to OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hednik

Baseband Member
Got my system upgraded on everything other than a mobo and CPU. Ive done OC on my old P3 couple years ago but its been a while and im a little rusty on the new stuff. Looking for some advice on a cpu/mobo that overall a good start. Im looking in the 350-400 combined range maybe higher depending. System as of now is 1.5 gig 3200, 6800gs factory OC, antec truepower2.0 500w, sata 150 80g, standard dvd/rw drive. Thanks, post you need anymore info form me.

Cool thanks, you posted thw two things i was looking at earleir today haha. My card is a pci-e. Does OC ing ram have to be done or is it just something you can do in addition to OCing your processor? I was just kinda looking into something that would be a good solid board that is friendly for a less experienced person in this area. Last question is, what exactly is a LAN Paarty helpful for? Could I go for the slightly cheaper DFI board since im not going to SLI? THanks for your help :)

I would say go for an Opteron 146 because they OC like crazy or the 3700 sandy is a good choice too. I also would recommend the Lanparty DFI nF4 Ultra-D since it is what I use and I love it. It has a ton of options that are really nice to have. It isn't all that hard setting it up, a lot of people scare you but really it isn't that bad and once you do learn a bit more it is nice to have hardware that can allow you to do things. That added to the fact that DFI-Street.com forum has TONS of info on exactly how to do anything you would want basically. I would say go for that MOBO cause it is worth a little extra cash.

When you OC by increasing your HTT it increases the speed for the entire system including the ram unless you set a memory divider. The stickies have great info on how to OC and what effects what.

I recommend the Opteron 146 because I hear lots of people getting 2.9 ghz with it while I got stuck at 2.7ghz with my sandy. However it is true that people get over 2.9 with 3700 sandy's too, it is just luck of the draw. I got scrooed :(

Good luck, enjoy building, enjoy ocing, enjoy your new rig in gaming :D

P.S. if you get the 3700 sandy and the DFI Ultra-D PM me if you have any questions cause I have those exact same 2 things and have some good experience with em now :p

EDIT: If you are much of a gamer at all I would recommend getting 2 gigs of some decent ram. I can't tell you how glad I am I upgraded to 2 gigs of decent stuff when I am playing BF2 compared to my 1 gig of ValueSelect stuff that I used to have. :mad:

the ultra-d is a perfect choice in motherboard. as for the cpu i agree that the 3700+ san diego is a good choice for overclocking but i would reccomend an athlon x2 myself. probably nowhere near as good for overclocking as the 3700+ but still decent. the Manchester cores i believe overclock better than the toledo cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom