Anti-Static Wrist Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Can I ask some of you what the wrist straps are made of?

I want to make one myself because the local computer store doesn't stock them and they are pretty basic, so it saves me about £8 ordering if I do a DIY job...

If I wrap copper wire around my wrist and attatch a crocodile clip to it and then to the earth of a wall socket, is that going to have the same effect?

Thanks

basicly they are like a watch band with a piece of metal that makes contact with your skin and then an attatched wire that goes to a ground , most of them have a resister in them to keep ya from getting shocked , im not totaly sure but they are somthing like a 6 ohm resister.

or you could save 99cents and not get one. just touch something metal. if your working around your pc case just touch the psu every once in a while. i have yet to do anything to my computer that has anything to do with static electricity. i have handled videocards, cpu's, motherboards, and everything else in the book. not once have i messed anything up. i dont think the wristbands are necessary. but if you feel safer with one on then go ahead.

It's not the price of the band (and don't forget I'm in rip-off Britain) it is the fct that I will have to ship it because my local shop hasn't got any. Shipping is about £3 + £3 for the band which is roughly $12. I have the copper wire and croc clip, so its free and saves me the effort of ordering.

When i built by first PC, i read alot and saw nearly everything said to touch something metal before u pickup anything, but now, as im doing research to reincarnate my PC, i see alot about anti-static wristbands. Is an wristband any better than touching something metal, or is it just another way of wasting money?

Its just to make sure you dont discharge static electricity to any computer componants , just becouse it doesnt kill the componant right that instant doesnt mean it hasnt redused its life span .

Touching your case will discharge yourself but your not constanly touching the case while working , so in that short time you could build up a charge , the wrist band just makes sure your always grounded , I wouldnt suggest useing a wire to ground yourself with out a resister in between you and the ground , just incase you take a good shock from somthing you touch .

If it's really a 6 ohm resisitor, than wont do anything against electruciton.

Actually, when your grounded to the right plug (the ground duh) their is no possible way you can electrucute yourself.

Unless that's grounded dirrectly to plumbing pipes, which become electrically charged o_O

phaaa who needs anti static, i put mine together with bare hands..
sif it reduces life.... oh well, its not like im gona be keeping my stuff for its lifetime

I've never used those wristbands either, I've always just touched a metal part of the case... but then the other day I was working on one and went to press the reset button on the case, and got shocked... fortunately it was just the reset button and not the motherboard or something... I might pick up a wrist band next time im at compusa. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom