Anti Static Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex81388 said:
I'e built bunches of computers on carpet with socks in all kinds of weather without any gruonding stuff.

NEVER experienced shock or any damage to components, wierd.

Thats just stupid. Like I said, ESD is highly overrated, but exists nontheless. I burned a part once via static, but it was indirectly. I procured a video card from a place I worked, took it out of the box, and had to bring it home. It wasnt in an antistatic bag, so I made a little packet from paper, put it in the paper packet, and stapled all around it shut. Then I put that in a briefcase, paid for the breifcase, and got a $150 video card for $20. ;) Boy did I end up paying for that. The card was shot, but I didnt know it. It was laser paper, so it can build up and hold a charge, and it was discharged onto the card. :( I didnt know this, and I tried to install it in my computer. Fried my motherboard, so my Athalon 2400+ was only being read at 1800+, running 500 mhz slower than it was clocked at, and I couldnt bump the speed up at all. I learned my lesson from ESD. And I also told you why I dont like AMD. :p

It was the motherboard that was screwed up not the processor, that's a dumb reason to not like AMD

It's not a dumb reason at all, it's just one of those things, and this was before I knew a whole lot about computers, so it left an impression on me. I technically had a bad experience with AMD. The way it works, for me at least, with bad experiences is that if I have one with a certain thing I DONT go back to that thing. Ya dig?

I have my arm resting on the side of the case at ALL TIMES when my hands are in the computer.
That's what I do.

Never using a grounding strap and saying it will never happen to you, is like driving around with no seatbelt saying that you will never get in an accident
not quite, people have been doing it for years.

Nubius, how does a drill let off an EMP? They have magnets, but I dont see how it is shooting off an EMP.
Theres always electromagnetics coming off from such devices....theres electricity going through a magnet in the drill...simply put it would cause disturbace assuming it was powerful enough and next to electronics....never said it was possible, just saying that what chris said sounded more like that than electro static discharge

Ever see what them electric egg beaters do to a TV? Same thing happens when a high power drill is near a computer. Or a cell phone some times...... God i hate it when mine rings and its on top of my case, makes my monitor freak out and makes my computer slow down till i get off of it.

When I used to use speakers for my comp ( I basically always use headphones now) whenever my cellphone would ring it would make this weird beeping noise through the speakers....I could always tell about 1-2 seconds ahead that I was about to receive a call because those beeps would happen before it rang.

That's the way it is with my screen. It keeps changing, and then when i answer its normal but everything on my machine slows down.

that's a trip it'd slow down your machine....I can't imagine why it'd do something as insane as that

My friend has a cell phone, that whenever it rings and we are watching TV or listening to the radio (in the car, for example) the signal would always get interupted a few seconds before it actually rang so she would always know someone was calling a few seconds before hand, like Mr. Nubi.

that's a trip it'd slow down your machine....I can't imagine why it'd do something as insane as that

I imagine it would have to do with the phone frequency getting all twisted up with the processor frequency. Electrtic noise type deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom