Anti Static Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foyman

In Runtime
Hi, I just bought an Anti Static Wrist Strap and it didn't come with any directions so I looked up where to connect the clip to on yahoo and 1 site said to the case chasis and another said to the ESD Jack (don't know what that is), but if any of you could help me out with where I need to connect the alligator clip to that would be great. Also when I'm putting my PC together should the PSU be plugged in or not?

Thanks

Electro Static Discharge jack more than likely.

It's used to ground yourself dude....anywhere that'll ground out besides the computer....anything metal pretty much.

No your PSU shouldn't be plugged in...it can be plugged in, but just don't flip the switch on....however theres really no point it having it plugged in if you're just now building it

OK, with an anti static wrist strap connect the clip to any bare metal part of your computer case. This ensures that you and the case are at the same static potential.

Don't plug the PSU in while building. It's alright if you don't have a static strap, but there's no need otherwise, and it's slightly dangerous.

Thanks for the replys, is their anything else that I should look out for concerning static electricity? I plan to build my comp on a table on wood flooring and I will be placing all my parts on some anti-static bags, does that all sound good?

yeah your plan is fine....just remember not to wear socks if that table is on a carpet :p

BTW: I've been brutal with computer components before, never used a static wrist band and I've never killed anything from static electricity....generally it only happens when the system was just booted and power had been through it because a little power remains in the capacitors.....Just get in the habit of touching the metal edging of your casing whenever you go to work on it and you'll be fine

Your plan sounds good

I hurt an mx440 with ESD I think, well I was using a drill on a graphics card for some reason, and it just displayed yellowish colors, like a dyeing monitor.

from a drill it sounds like it'd be EMP not ESD........but that's assuming if you had the drill near the card while it was on......but yeah I dont see why you'd need a drill around anything computer related for the most part....perhaps the case

Foyman said:
Hi, I just bought an Anti Static Wrist Strap and it didn't come with any directions so I looked up where to connect the clip to on yahoo and 1 site said to the case chasis and another said to the ESD Jack (don't know what that is), but if any of you could help me out with where I need to connect the alligator clip to that would be great. Also when I'm putting my PC together should the PSU be plugged in or not?

Thanks

You can get certain straps that have a little plug on them that fit nicely into the ground port on a house outlet, and some computer cases come with those little jacks on the case. Like how big rackmount switches have a ground port.

ESD is highly overrated, but even still. Never using a grounding strap and saying it will never happen to you, is like driving around with no seatbelt saying that you will never get in an accident. One of these days, you are gonna crash, and the outcome is not going to be very good. Just stay safe, use the strap. What i do, when I'm working in a computer, I have my arm resting on the side of the case at ALL TIMES when my hands are in the computer. It doubles as a rest, but it mainly is so I stay grounded.

Nubius, how does a drill let off an EMP? They have magnets, but I dont see how it is shooting off an EMP.

I'e built bunches of computers on carpet with socks in all kinds of weather without any gruonding stuff.

NEVER experienced shock or any damage to components, wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom