Antec 900 Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdawg

In Runtime
Hello all. After extensive reading I've decided to go ahead and mod my antec 900 case. Unfortunately all I have is a drill and a jigsaw. I know a dremel would be best but there's no way for me to get one without buying it. My question is, do you think I could still get the job done with these two items? Any complications I should know about and anticipate? I saw this done by someone else in another forum and am pretty much looking to do the same - but maybe not all the zip tie holes.

Attachments

• img2601wp0.jpg
    img2601wp0.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 120
I don't see why not....instead of starting with the dremel for the initial cut you can use the drill, just make sure your bit makes a large enough hole for the jigsaw blade to reach through.

Also, a problem is going to be that your holes will be so small in comparison to the large window done in that above "how to" you probably won't be able to cut the entire hole in one shot, the corners will be too tight. You might have to pre-drill the corners and then use the jig saw to cut corner to corner in a straight line. I don't know if that makes sense when I put it into words. I would do that frequently with small cuts in wood work before I got my dremel.

Dremel would definitely be easier...no one you can borrow one off of eh?

Here are the cuts I made on my 900, note the cut in the top right drive bay so that the case wiring can be tucked behind the drive when it's inserted....the top fan power supply wire can also be tucked through there. Cuts like that may be tricky without the dremel...but the straight forward ones in the case should work..i'd think.

here is after the sanding, priming and painting. I wanted to cover the bare metal that was exposed from the sanding to remove burs.

i dont see why it wouldnt work...just make sure to take a file after you cut to round off the edges. then take some tubing or tape and cover them up so your wires dont end up getting sliced.

yup, Home Depot 1/4" flex plumbing tubing worked great, slice one side open along the length and cover the steel edges of your cuts so none of the wiring gets cut. Even makes the job look better as it smooths out the lines of your cut which may come out a little uneven like mine.

Yeah I'm gonna go look into some things tomorrow. You don't know how bad I wish there was a Wal*mart type place here. I'd like to paint but I'm pretty sure they won't let me do it anywhere in the city.

I have pretty similair placed holes. Attached is basically my plan. I thought about turning my HDD around but if I have it down at the bottom and go behind the mobo with the psu cables, I might save some work time. Of course I will cut the cage on the other side for future drives as in the above thread too. Also, I would cut a hole for my cpu power but the cable isn't long enough so I'm going to the left and up, and maybe in btwn my video card and mobo...we'll see. One annoying thing on the case is the length of the pwr switch and the hdd led and reset switch. The plugs on the p5k delux is all the way on the bottom right. Those cords can barely make it as it is so there's no chance to hide it behind the case. Do you guys think I can keep the atx plug coming from below the mobo. I see most people leaving it exposed and ziptying it all the way up.

Attachments

• Case Plan.jpg
    Case Plan.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 108
Mounting the hdd was a piece of work in its self. I had to cut and re-wire the SATA and power connections to 90 degree connectors, the standard connections that came with the PSU would hit the fan if I didn't re-connect the. The next step was to not only cut through the case but also the bay cases:

aug07012.jpg

the power connections for the video card and fans didn't fit through the stock spaces. That would be a very tough but with just a jigsaw and drill...don't know how you'd do it.

And yeah, the length of the 900's case wires is short...they all just barely made it for me except the firewire which i'll have to either re-wire or get an extension.

I'm not sure what you mean about painting in the city....all you need is some painters tape, a can of spray paint and some open space..back yard? balcony? garage...it all works well, just make sure there is some ventilation for the fumes and it's not a windy day.

make sure you cut the holes in the right place. i didnt need to cut a hole for my 24pin.

also dont cut more than you need. cut a few to start. then go back and add more as you see fit.

as far as the hdd led, pwr sw, and reset...if the wires are too short you can always splice and butt-connect them. its simple. it's only two wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom