Antec 900 Case Modding Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
So let's see.. I want to drill some holes in the case and flip my PSU upside down. Here's a picture:

Computersadfasdf_by_DingisFargle.png

I wanted to stress how little room I had for airflow in all directions (it's pretty cramped), but it doesn't get hot, so I'm not really concerned too awful much about that.

The only hole I'm really concerned with is the one down there to the right of the CPU, which won't be any problem.

Are the other two holes necessary? Is a procedure like this recommended for the minimal amount of room have? It rarely gets hot. I mean when it's running, I can stick my hand in the case and feel a large amount of airflow from the two front fans going to the back fan and the top fan.

And about flipping the PSU upside down: Should I have to worry too much about airflow? I drew the two red boxes on the top and bottom to show how much room I had for airflow. I have the top fan set to the minimal speed. The other three fans do not have a setting for speed. the processor fan spins at about 850 average when idling.

I have all the necessary tools for a job like this, so nothing to worry about there.

Thanks for any input into this :D

Here's my process of it.. used a dremel and foam tape to keep from scratching the PSU and to keep vibrations to a null.. it's an easy mod, but you'll prolly end up re-wiring half of your case while you're in there.. Check out the reverse mount HDD mod too.. Kind of a pain if you don't have the right SATA power cables, but it's still doable. HDD LINKY

There is SOME room for airflow, but if you can find some riser type of feet for the computer, that would probably be a good idea.. It's also nice as to not be dropping screws into the top of the PSU fan anymore! :D

The holes help a lot. I drilled one in the exact location near the PSU. Just get some goop and some very small plastic or rubber hose and slice it down the middle to protect the wires from the cut edge of the case. Your rig placement seems to be kind of killing the purpose of the top fan.. it doesn't seem like it has much room to flow any air out of the top.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/modding-my-antec-900-progress-pics-209244/

I recommend cutting a hole in the bottom under the power supply so it can breath when you flip it. The other holes shouldn't be a problem though I would remove all the components prior to any cutting and you should invest in some molding for the newly cut edges.

U-channel edge molding

Yeah, I planned on drilling holes on the bottom when I flip the PSU over and will probably put some rubber feet or foam or something under the PSU (not under the case itself)

As for the edge molding.. I have quite a bit laying around here. I've got all the tools.. Going pick up some paint and paint the inside, too :tongue:

I am also going to cut holes on the side where the hard drives are mounted like in the video.. I hadn't though about that. Hopefully all my cables reach.. If not I can just pick some more up.

Anything I should worry about? What about taking the case apart? Can I just leave the entire physical case intact and paint the inside that way? I'd be taking out the drive bays, the rear fan, and the back cover off, too.

^ Depends on how hard you press.. I didn't support mine and it turned out fine.

If you want to paint the case, take everything out and sand the case down or scuff it up REAL good with some green 3m scrubber pad. That stuff works great and won't gouge the existing paint.. 2 THIN coats of primer, scuffed between, and then three or so coats of the paint color of your choice letting every coat dry for about 1/2 hr between coats.. LIGHT COATS!!! it will look like crap if you glop the paint on and try to get full coverage with the first coat.

It will be a project, but it depends on how bad you want it.. :D

Good to know that, I don't really want to buy a replacement right now :tongue: Just getting a little bored with this one, want to spice things up a little :grin:

About the paint.. I also have some primer.. my dad and brother finished restoring a Camaro not too long ago, so we've got almost any tool you could imagine :tongue:

^ Oh you're speaking my language now! I'm a gearhead by DNA.. I've got a 480bhp 2000 Camaro Z28 LS1 6 speed LOADED with mods.. I've painted my share of stuff before.. just thought I'd throw the info out there as others have started threads regarding painting their cases and wanted to know EXACTLY why and if he should sand the case and prime it... We explained (Techies here) that sanding and priming gives the paint a bit of a 'tooth' to bite and adhere to..

good to hear then..
Check my car out.. :D i gotta update that page one of these days.. Mods are up to date, though. I painted my hood, the back manta.. Gotta take some new pics this spring.
Garages > 35057's 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - FQuick.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom