antec 300 number 2: givie ideas/comments - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Default antec 300 number 2: givie ideas/comments

ok, with the sale of my current rig pending, i went out and picked up another antec 300 in advance so i can have it ready for a new build later next week.

what i have so far:

antec 300 case
primer
flat black paint (for interior)
10x12 plexy
18x12 plexy (would need to cut this down a lil)

i would like suggestions that arnt too difficult to do with a dremel for the side window cutout.

the side panel is aprox 17x17 so i have enough plexy glass to do both sides if i really wanted, but no need for the right hand side.

i also need some trim (u channel), i should probably just go over to mnpctech.com and get some of theirs U-channel edge molding for PC Mod Window, as my last antec 300 side window i used some crap from autozone and it was kinda thick for my tastes. but if you know of a better place, please advise!

any other ideas, shoot them here! im up for anything that isnt too difficult.

just incase you dont know what the antec 300 looks like

here is my first antec300 window job to compair with (8x10 window cutout)

thanks for all comments and or ideas guys, i want to put more time into this project than i did my last.

edit: here is a cutout idea for the window, it should not be too hard.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: antec 300 number 2: givie ideas/comments

Just an FYI, the u-channeling is good for round corners, with strict edges like that the u-channeling is difficult to use. Either you use one piece and it rounds all those corners or you cut it at each corner and that can look bad if you aren't bang on with your cuts.

As for u-channeling, mnpctech is very well priced, I have local suppliers around here that are all higher than mnpctechs prices. If you're placing an order for other stuff from him then for sure add some u-channeling.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

thanks for the heads up, but its too late! i have placed the order already hehe.

and ya, i will take me time with the cuts, but i may get lucky with the 45 angles. if not, no biggy.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

U channel doesn't work on 90* angles I'll tell you that.

I'd like to see a window up top looking down into the case between the front and the top fan.

Then do the side window.

Would be sick is hit everything in matte black, then get either mirror or smoked acrylic for the windows.

Mmmm...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I agree with Aspire, that would be pretty sick.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
U channel doesn't work on 90* angles I'll tell you that.

I'd like to see a window up top looking down into the case between the front and the top fan.

Then do the side window.

Would be sick is hit everything in matte black, then get either mirror or smoked acrylic for the windows.

Mmmm...
ill have to cut the corners for the channel in 45 angles for the 90 window angles

as for the top panel window, i have been debating that myself, wasnt sure if it would look right. could be worth a try though. say a small 6"x 8" or whatever i can get up there.
i do like the idea! if you can, can you show me a pic of somebody who has done this so i can get a general idea of how it would look.

for the window color, im not a fan of mirror or smoked windows (yet) maybe for another time. (or come to think of it, a tinted "smoked" window for the top would look good.)

update on ideas:

i was thinking of applying some carbon fiber vynal to the front panel.
i would remove the mesh grill and just apply it to the solid "posts".
would this be a good idea or no?

also, i noticed i messed the title of this thread up lol should read "antec 300 number 2: give me ideas/comments"
but i guess "givie" isnt that bad lol
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608

Top window would be cool, something different from the regular side, but would look cool with the side window with it. I think it could look cool with smoke windows, but if it's hard to see in, what's the point of having a window? The carbon fiber could look cool, but the case might look a little plain without the mesh grill.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

If you have an extra pane of plexy you can make a cutout for the right side of the case and use some LEDs to backlight it, that would look cool.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazebob View Post
Top window would be cool, something different from the regular side, but would look cool with the side window with it. I think it could look cool with smoke windows, but if it's hard to see in, what's the point of having a window? The carbon fiber could look cool, but the case might look a little plain without the mesh grill.
the mesh would go back on it taking it off was just for preperations.

so instead of the black plastic look, it would be carbon look with the same black metal mesh

thats one thing i like about this 300, everything comes off without much effort. cant say this about my last case that wasnt an antec.(a raidmax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
If you have an extra pane of plexy you can make a cutout for the right side of the case and use some LEDs to backlight it, that would look cool.
as i do have 2 smaller plexy's

1x 8x10
1x 8x12

this could work, but not top priority as the right side of my case sits up against my desk leg.

great input thus far guys.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazebob View Post
Well, if you have the window backlit it can still be quite see through.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread