Antec 1200 Quad gpu folding rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So, finished my last course today....4 years it took but my Masters of Science is now done, well atleast the courses are, I have a comprehensive exam in a few weeks but the courses are done, no more essays!!!! woohoo.

That means time to celebrate in true geek fashion: start another build!

I've had a number of spare parts including some old ballistix, a 4400 x2 and a 9800gtx+ lying around for a while now and when my brother in law gave me his pny 8800gts to cover $40 he owed me I figured how about a quad folding rig? So picked up a 1200 a while back and a silencer 750 and msi k9a2 when they were on sale then found 2 8800gts being sold by poizzen a while back and voila! ready to go! Unfortunately problems started immediately, school mostly, just nuts. Then Poizzen had issues with the cards, the XFX is here now but I'm still waiting on the BFG which I'm hoping has been RMA'd at this point. Any update poizzen22?

Anyways now it's time,

The to do list:

- Replace blue 120mm LED fans with some red/black yate loons. I don't mind the blue LEDs but not for a 24/7 folding rig.
- Rewire fans to a rear terminal block...just too many wires otherwise with 4 GPUs, 5 120mms and a 200mm on top.
- Get out the dremel and cut up the case! Wire management is a must with the air that needs to be pushed
- Sleeve the psu, love that red Silencer 750 but the one area PC P&C suck is their sleeving.

That should be it, nothing craze planned, will probably do a heavier mod on the case next year but for now i just want to get it up and running. Right now I have the cards in 4 different comps in my office :p

Anyways, wasn't sure where to put it but figured since there will be some cutting and sleeving i'd stick it in case mod forum. I should have some pics tomorrow!

Congrats on the MASc. Whats it in? Got mine too, in Metallurgical Eng. Being done classes was great. Had a thesis too, so nI had a year no classes before i was done.

Can't wait for pics.

It's in occupational health and safety, heavy on the industrial hygiene side: biological, chemical and physical health hazards, their exposures, controls and what they do to the human body.

Yeah, thought I mentioned that but somehow missed it, have a one year independent study, it's no longer a thesis as we don't have to defend it but it does get reviewed by a panel. I enjoy the topic I've picked for it so that part doesn't feel like school, ties in with my work. I was just getting so sick of schooling/classes, 10+ years now of post secondary, my head hurts!

As for the electric bill...did go up but my comp, the server and the htpc are all running 24/7 anyways so not a huge change.

Nice, having school tie in with an intrest makes it easier, but yha, 10 yrs school sucks... I got 9 in.

I found with my 2 comps my bill is up 20 bucks tops a month. In real life terms its less than coffee for a week, or half a night out for cheap beer.

Exactly...i've only had the bunch of them going a couple of weeks now, had the mobo, psu and case for a while but took forever to get all the cards together....then all except the last one came in at the same time. Will have to see what this months bill is like to get a true idea but i'm guessing about $25/month. Works for me, where else am i going to get a good cause that includes building a rig :p now if only i could get a tax deduction for the parts + electric bill!

I'm hoping i can get this done in a month or so...with my comprehensive in a few weeks i'm not sure how pressed i'll be for time. But I can't hold off any longer have atelast one if not two other case projects i want to do this summer while the weather is good for painting. I haven't even finished the mod i started last year, its still sitting in a dozen pieces on the shelf :p lol

i just couldnt stand the heat from my media rig when i had my gts 512 in it. although i do miss those extra points.
CONGRATS ON THE COMPLETION OF YOUR SCHOOLIN JFENWICK.

Thanks, still hard to accept, weird not having school work I should be working on in the evening

Yeah, am running dual cards in my htpc right now :p will be good to get that guy out....but its still cold up here, still patches of snow around, we had another big fall last week and my gazebo collapsed :(

Yeah, winter isn't an issue, the comps keep my office warm....in the summer will be a different case....we'll see. I might have to shut one of them down this summer.

Anyways, no photos today, the wife has pulled out the honey do list that's been gathering dust on the fridge while I've been schooling. How does that saying go..... out of the frying pan and into the fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom