Daemon Poster
Im thinking of getting a new comp. This is what im thinking of getting:

Processor: - Intel Pentium 4 3.2G-E (800Mhz FSB) Prescott
Motherboard: - Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000PRO
Memory: - 1GB KIT DDR PC3200 400Mhz
HDD: - Seagate 120G 7200RPM ATA-100
Video Card: - MSI 256Mb FX5600-TD
Remov. Storage: - Pioneer DVR-108SW - 16X DVD±R - Dual Layer 4X

Opinions please. What should I change or add?
Im worried about the DVD Burner; should i get the dual layer?
And can some1 explain the Prescott & Northwood business and HyperThreading! :cool:

Daul layers good, u can burn 9gb on them things, also what would you be using the pc for, if it's for gaming the gfx card wont do you. That hd looks good, but if ur into video editing and stuff get more storage.

I would get an Abit mobo instead of gigabyte, Abit's are really stable and great for oc'ing.

BRoWZ said:
Daul layers good, u can burn 9gb on them things, also what would you be using the pc for, if it's for gaming the gfx card wont do you. That hd looks good, but if ur into video editing and stuff get more storage.

A bit of both. I wont need anymore than 120GB! What is a really good video card that is under AUS $350

HT= Hyper Threading
Its like having 2 different CPU's. This will increase performance in applications like PhotoShop. Photoshop supports multi-CPU and HT, diferent threads can be processes at the same time wich makes it faster although they don't get the full speed of yer CPU because it isn't "real" multi CPU but HT.

If you are a gamer there's no advantage since most games do not support multi CPU. For gaming AMD's are better.
If you are getting an AMD u should get an Abit board. Or Asus.

And to answer your question about processors 'n' such:
The most obvious difference between Prescott and previous Pentium 4 processors is the process technology being employed: Prescott represents the first high-volume processor to use IntelÂ’s new 90 nanometer (.09 micron) process. Prescott is also the third process technology used by Pentium 4 processors. The first Pentium 4 processors used the Willamette design, which was the last gasp of IntelÂ’s .18 micron process. The Socket 478 Pentium 4 Northwood processors (which replaced the Socket 423 Willamette) use a .13 micron process. Thus, IntelÂ’s Pentium 4 family of processors are now based on a process which can place twice as many circuit lines in the same space as on the original Pentium 4 processors.

Reductions in process size alone are significant because the space freed up in the processor core can be used for larger cache sizes or other features, but the differences between Prescott and Northwood processors go far beyond the process size used.

A second significant difference between Prescott and Northwood is in how the processors are constructed. Prescott benefits from combining several new and recent processor construction methods for the first time:

Copper interconnects for faster in-chip performance and less heat buildup

Low-power transistors for lower voltage requirements and faster clock speeds

Strained silicon (silicon whose atoms are more widely spaced than normal) to reduce resistance and improve performance

Low-k dielectric insulation to reduce signal leakage and crosstalk

I would get a Northwood P4 instead of the Prescott. I think the Prescott is a dog. It runs much hotter, and I have compared systems with Northwood and Prescott chips, without seeing much difference at all. How much are you willing to spend on your vid card? If you do get the Prescott, make sure the mobo is compatible w/ the Prescott chip.

If price is not an issue with this, then I would get the 6800 or 6800pro from nVidia. Best of the best so far. If price is an issue, get the 9800 or 9800pro fro ATi. All around performance at a good price.....like an AMD CPU (*hint hint*).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom