Annoying Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas

In Runtime
I finally got my computer running sort of, i get to the BIOs and then it checks the processor, memory and then when it gets to IDE devices it says system failure insert system disk. So i attempted to open the disc tray and load my OS but the disc drive wont open. Can anyone help me, please im so close to having it working.

Did you make sure your IDE's were thoroughly connected? Do you have a disk stuck in the floppy drive? Have you tried using a paperclip to stick in the tiny little 'emergency open' hole that is common for CD drives to have.

My disc drive is connected to the IDE 2(secondary) and is set to master. My hard drive is on the Primary and is set to slave. IS there anything wrong with that setup?

Yes, Put the Hard drive on primary/master and the Disc drive to Secondary/Master. Slave is used when you run two devices off of one plug.

For example you could use the HD AND CD drive on primary, with the HD/Master and the CD/Slave. I don't think that is causing the problem though. Check to make sure the CD drive is the first Device in the boot list and also that it has power running to it through the 4pin molex connector.

AS far as i can tell the cd drive isnt first on the boot list, it goes main processor, memory, ddr speed and then it says detecting IDE devices... My cd drive is on secondary/master and my hard drive is on primary/master so i dont understand what the problem is.

OK heres what the computer says when i try to start up.

Ide Channel 0 Master: my hard drive
Ide Channel 0 Slave: None
Ide channel 1 Master: None(should be my cd drive)
Ide channel 1 slave: None
Ide channel 2 master: None
Ide channel 3 master: none

Then it goes on to say disk boot failure please insert disk, and well i cant because the cd drive is not being recognized for some reason.

Okay, is it a problem to put them both on the same cable? simply set the jumpers accordingly (mast/slave, not CS), and it wont matter which order they're in, although I am assuming that the CD drive will be on the end of cable.

Make them both on cable IDE 0, or IDE 1.

Forget about the other cable, If this works, at least we know it is not a drive problem.

If you feel it is imperative for you to have them on seperate cables, then switch the cable out, and do the same thing with the other cbale, to make sure they both still work. THEN put them on their own cable each, and at this point, the jumpers shouldn't matter. Simply the Hard drive should be on the IDE 0, and CD on IDE 1. (Unless your IDE's are numbered 1 & 2.).

Hope this helps.

Ok im really confused now because the cd drive opens now but it doesnt recognize it as the slave. It also says at the bottom cable conductor 80 not connected.

There should be a very tiny hole adjacent to the drive door. Take a pin or a needle and stick it in there and push hard until your drive pops out. This fix will work for now but if this problem arises again and continues to happen, consider replaacing your drive.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom