AMD64 Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewt427

Baseband Member
I am still in research for building my gaming PC, but I have come to a brick wall trying to find out what software is out there that can take advantage of the AMD64 abilty to run 64 bit applications.

I know AMD64 processers can run 32 bit applications but doesn't that defeat the purpose???.

Do they make 64 bit games?? I heard something about a windows 64bit OS. Is the software more expensive than the "a typical" 32bit???.

I know the AMD64's are still really fast running 32bit applications due to HTT. But is it really worth it???.

Buying an A64 is taking one step towards the future. People say "don't buy one, they don;t even have 64-bit apps yet for them" this is not even true. yes, no OS is 64-bit (yet) but there are apps that some people use that are 64-bit.

if you want to have an already purchased and built A64 rig when the OS comes out, then i say go for it. the wait isn't that far away, and it's betteer to get it now before A64 becomes the standard and prices inflate.

You will be stuck withan "old and outdated" A32 system when everyone else is flying by on A64 rigs. Like Socket A is now, even before 64-bit has become mainstream people are saying "socket A computer suck! along with every other 32-but computer" this is of course bias and somewhat rude, but if you look at it deeper it's almost true. A32 is far behind the A64 systems unless you overclock alot and spend hoards of money on an expensive Intel P4EE machine or the like.

Any Socket A machine compared to a decent 754/939 system gets it's butt kicked, unless you are overclocking on liquid nitorgen or something insane (which is no practical, and even then the results are very "grey")

When the bigger and better 64-bit processor come along even the Pentium P4 line will become totally obsolete, and they will start making 64-bit systems as well. right now they are focusing on dual core though and trying to keep above water lol...

(all my opinion of course...be gentle)

Even without the 64 bit enviroment to run on, the Athlon 64s are still lightning fast and are the best choice for those with a little money to spend in my opinion. The built in memory controller, successful 90nm cores, 2000mb/s transfer rates, and both 32 bit and future 64 bit compliant abilities are all reasons why I feel the Athlon 64s are truly the best way to go right now unless you are using some big number crunching applications.

Windows has released a 64 bit BETA OS, and are working on the real thing, and other OS makers such as Linux and Red Hat are working on their own 64 bit operating systems, and I think we will start to see a transfer to 64 bit enviroments around the same time as Longhorns release, which is really pretty soon if you think about it.

gaara said:
Even without the 64 bit enviroment to run on, the Athlon 64s are still lightning fast and are the best choice for those with a little money to spend in my opinion. The built in memory controller, successful 90nm cores, 2000mb/s transfer rates, and both 32 bit and future 64 bit compliant abilities are all reasons why I feel the Athlon 64s are truly the best way to go right now unless you are using some big number crunching applications.

i would kill for an on-die memory controller on my SocketA rig lol. That would be killer...and HTT too :drool: :)

Athlon 64s destroy previous generation Athlon XPs even at 32-bit software. My Athlon 64 3200+ is so much faster than my old Athlon XP 2600+ its not even comparable. One thing the Athlon 64 bashers have to say is that by the time 64-bit apps become popular, these current Athlon 64s will be outdated or very low end. That is true, however, the A64 is worth it just for the advantage in 32-bit apps especially in games.

beedubaya said:
One thing the Athlon 64 bashers have to say is that by the time 64-bit apps become popular, these current Athlon 64s will be outdated or very low end. That is true, however, the A64 is worth it just for the advantage in 32-bit apps especially in games.

That's not much of a point really. The OS/software release is ALWAYS going to be "late" compared to the hardware release. Who would buy A64 software b4 they had the parts for it...it's not usable at all. An A64 rig HOWEVER is fully functional on 32-bit apps.

Also...seriously guyz, wait 3 months...something in your computer is obsolete! isn't that nice? the people who say A64 will be obsolete soon due to new technologies in 2006+ have no room to talk, the are most likely on hardware that was deemed "obsolete" a year or more ago. Going from more obsolete to less obsolete might seem pointles to some people...but in the long run being "less obsolete" is about as good as you can get...cuz something always comes out that is better a month or so down the road. you can never have an "up to date" machine" unless you upgrade every couple months or more.

The A64 might become obsolete later down the road, but at least it's still runable on an A64 OS, can play A64 games, and can still live in the A64 environment. Unlike most of the systems out now that people are upgrading to because "A64 is pointless" or w/e reason they have...

Jnewt427, its not anything to worry about. So AMD64 still has no real supporting 64bit software is not a matter. AMD64 does the same thing Intel does, run 32bit software. Its not like your paying more money for a 64bit processor that you cant use, so in reality theirs not a problem. People keep saying why go 64 since they have no supporting software. But they are missing the point, this processor does not cost more, and it also runs 32bit extremely well. Intels most expensive processor cost around the same price or even more then AMD64 most expensive. While AMD64 is 64bit. So noone is getting rippet off, its just a pointless issue that has been circulating.

Everything is always obsolete. Theres nothing ever thats not obsolete. I bet you cant find one thing in your whole house or even on your streat that is not obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom