AMD X2 Stock Heat Sink/Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub1971

Baseband Member
Hi Guys.

Just a quick one about stock heat sink and fans that come with the Athlon Dual Core processors.

I am terrified of buying a zalman or thermaltake typhoon and some AS5 and putting them on myself incase I stuff things up and cook my CPU.

I am however comfortable with putting on the stock HSF's that come with the CPU's have done that a few times now.

Are the stock HSF's that come with the Dual Core AMD's still ok to use? I would assume they are otherwise AMD wouldnt ship their chips with them?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm not an overclocker, but I do game heaps.

Cheers
Cub

Thanks for that, I know it would probably be better to use some AS5 and a nice zalman or Tt HSF, but I just can't do it. I think when I get my new rig set up, i'll experiment on my old one with some AS5, if I kill my old AMD 2.4 it's no big deal. I don't want to take my chances first time on an AMD X2 though.

Cheers!

for one thing is the only problem you can do it appling to much and it would increase the cpu temp and not decrease it which even if your cpu gets to hot most of hte newer motherboards well shut the computer off if it does get hot enoguht for it to fry. You only apply only like the size of a pen tip not much more. Theres nothing to be scared about its hardly impossible to mess up useing as5. (i have to say for some people they can do it very easy tho) there are things you can read about applin thermal paste read those and it well help you alot.

the new generation HSF that started shipping i think about the time of the introduction of the X2 range (the one with the single retaining clip that should be compatable with the AM2 HSF cage) is pretty decent. i've overclocked to around 2.5ghz-2.6ghz (from 2.0ghz) on it without even using AS5. temps are still way within safety.

I have a Zalman on my X2 4800+ overclocked at 2.7GHz. Everthing is running fine.

This is my first build at it was a piece of cake to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom