AMD X2 5000 OC?? Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice8168

Baseband Member
Okay the spec of my machine are in the sig and all my current voltages and temps are as follows:
Vcore: 1.34v
CPU-NB HT: 1.26v
NB Core: 1.22v
DDR2 Term: 1.06v
SB Core 1.57v
DDR2: 2.14v
CPU at Idle: 41 degrees

All temps and voltages were taken from an ASUS utility in windows.

I have no idea where to even begin with th overclock. I have search and searched and just dont know where to start.

For starters I dont know if everything is within normal range to start with. Do all the listed specs loo ok?

If so where do I start with my overclock?

For OCing noob help a guy out.

CPU at Idle: 41 degrees
That's not really a good temperature at idle. especially at stock.

If you want to overclock, you'll need to cool the sucker down first.

To do that, you can:
replace the thermal paste with arctic silver 5, MX-1 or MX-2
get a better cooler
remove the IHS (this is a permanent modification)
make sure it has better airflow to the CPU

The AS5 is already on there. I removed the cooler tonight and found a large void in the paste so i cleaned it up and reapplied the paste and reinstalled the cooler. Temps dropped to 39 and I guess mave improve a little more after burn-in?

I figure that was kinda high for idle. Running prime95 for about 15-20min will take the processor to 50deg and hold it there.

So what is removing the IHS?? And how do I perform this mod? Is it worth the trouble? Would lapping the cooler help any?

As for airflow, when I removed the case side I only get a drop or 1 sometimes 2 deg.

I hate to have to cough up for another cooler...

i dont really suggest removing the ihs if you dont know what you are doing.
your temps will probably drop a little more in time, maybe like 3-4*.
prime 95 will cause it to heat up more as the test continues...try running it for a couple hours and see what they do.
is your 5000 a brisbane or windsor?
if it is a brisbane, your temps should still be lower yet with a 9500 (my 3600 idles at like 26* with my 9500).
if it is a winnie, it aint gonna get much better than that, im afraid.
to all you amd guys out there, by the way....newegg has no more 3600 brisbane oem. eek.

i dont really suggest removing the ihs if you dont know what you are doing.
your temps will probably drop a little more in time, maybe like 3-4*.
prime 95 will cause it to heat up more as the test continues...try running it for a couple hours and see what they do.
is your 5000 a brisbane or windsor?
if it is a brisbane, your temps should still be lower yet with a 9500 (my 3600 idles at like 26* with my 9500).
if it is a winnie, it aint gonna get much better than that, im afraid.
to all you amd guys out there, by the way....newegg has no more 3600 brisbane oem. eek.
I don't know about that. My 6000+ (Windsor F3) idles at 21ºC at stock (3.0GHZ). Although I do have watercooling on it.

I haven't tried taking off the IHS. My 6000+ seems to be a really good one as far as temperatures go. Much cooler than my 4600+ ran, even though it is also a Windsor at lower clock speeds.

That's not really a good temperature at idle. especially at stock.

If you want to overclock, you'll need to cool the sucker down first.

To do that, you can:
replace the thermal paste with arctic silver 5, MX-1 or MX-2
get a better cooler
remove the IHS (this is a permanent modification)
make sure it has better airflow to the CPU

whoa does it run that cool? my E6320 is like at 50C idle and 60C on load and also its stock hsf which is gonna be upgraded to tuniq tower 120 or arctic freezer pro 7.

the water cooling makes a BIG difference, it would seem.
if you had the inclination, apokalipse...maybe you could take the water block off and put a stock cooler on it. just for information purposes. not really neccessary, but i bet it will jump in temp 7-10*, don't you?
and i just noticed its 41* at idle, stock voltage. that is indeed a little high...i think my 4200 idled at like 30-32* with stock voltage and a zalman, and it is a 90nm windsor...

I believe its a windsor, it was purchased about 10months ago. Well then with my temp issue is there anything I can do as far as the overclock?

perhaps.
run your computer for awhile, and then re-boot, go into bios and check the cpu temp.
see if it corresponds then with what the asus program is telling you.
it may be different.
one way to be certain if it is windsor or brisbane is to go into cpuz, and if it says 90nm it is a windsor, if it says 65nm it is a brisbane.
if it IS a brisbane, that will probably explain the high temps...on am2 boards using the 65nm cpus, the temp readings are usually far from accurate for some reason using utilities. i havent found one yet that reads my 3600 correctly.
bios will be much more reliable.
lets figure out the temp issue is actually an issue, and then we can proceed with the overclock.
apokalipse and i can help you overclock it, no problem...once we find out if that temp is accurate. if it is, you are not going to be able to raise the voltage much, and with a windsor chip you will have to raise it to get a good overclock.

Ok well it is a windsor (90nm) and my machine has been running and working all morning. I restart and go to the temps in BIOS and wth.....shows cpu temp of 47-48 degrees.

Im lost, dont know what is going on with the temp issue. Any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom