AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKIII

Baseband Member
How do compare AMD's to Intel?

I am on my first build and i would like to put in an AMD Athlon 64 that is about equal to a 3.0GHz P4.

I'd appreciate the help thanks.
TKIII

well, tell me what you are mostly doing with the computer

for gaming wise, AMD owns Intel
for everything else, Intel owns AMD

and it depends, i would say get amd 64 3000+ or higher
get 512mb ram
get at least 80gb HD

i personally have an AMD 64 3000+
its my new computer

thanks XFlamez

I will be using it for gaming mostly, but i will also be programming, watching dvd's, and other media on it.

TKIII i notice u have 256ram and a dvd+rw..this is not related to ur question.... but does ur burner work fine with that much memory?

Simply saying 'gaming amd' followed with 'intel everything else' is a pretty vague statement. It depends on what two processors in specific you are comparing because the AMD could easily hold it's own in various applications.

Unless you are doing insane vide multitasking and encoding then an AMD would more than serve your purposes, but Xflame makes it sounds like all they are good for is gaming which simply isn't true. The 64bit CPU's are very effective at 32bit processing as well.

If you want an AMD64 that's approx equivelant to a 3GHz Intel you'd need a minimum of a AMD64 3000+ but I'd suggest getting 3200+ or higher if you could.

Also make sure you get a Socket 939 AMD board as those support dual channel and will continued to be upgraded upon unlike socket 754 and 940

Ankush09, my burner works fine for cd-r's and rw's but i have yet to burn a DVD.

speaking of 64-bit processors does anyone know when longhorn(new windows) is coming out?

thanks for your help everyone.

Yeah, good idea Snake. Please dont post any kind of AMD vs Intel threads. These get people fired up, once the bashing starts. Even i get pissed off when people make statements such as-

AMD=Gaming ONLY
Intel=Everything ELSE

Thats not true, and it just shows how little you know about either brand. Thats pretty aggressive, but its true. Like Nubius said, it all depends on what your going to use your computer for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom