AMD vs Intel - 2006 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotec

Fully Optimized
Hopefully this won't turn into a flame war, but just a good conversation about what the future will bring from both AMD and Intel.

I had read this article a little while back, but just stumbled onto it again. It is actually pretty interesting how it describes the next year to come.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28602

AMD R TEH PWNZOR!! Intelz will nevr b able 2 pwn AMD!

In reality....I honestly have no clue. Haven't been following Intel that much (obviously, cause you know me, AMD all the way, but I try not let it make me biased when it's cold hard facts)...anywho it does seem like they'll be pulling out some interesting things next year...so basically all I can hope for is that AMD winds up in the front at Q1 of 2007. Of course Intel taking a lead is pretty much good news as it'll make AMD want to take the lead back and that's how good business works. One outdoes the other, the other comes back, and we the consumers benefit from better and better processors :D

I personally won't be building another computer or upgrading until approximately 2008, so I'm just hoping AMD will be on top of the game by then :D I think it's around then they are looking to be at another socket and possibly DDR3? Not entirely sure as I've seen a lot of BS flying around and not as much factual information.

Been saying it for months now that AMD RevF cores are complete bollocks especially with Conroe right around the corner...I hadn't really seen any hard specs on the Conroe but if it's really 30% more efficent than P-Ms plus having the higher frequencies, it'll completely dominate

And again, with DDR2, I don't think it'll benefit much from the HTT with the higher latencies. Then again I'm not in a position to judge and I'm just speculating, but I personally think it would have been best for AMD to skip DDR2 and keep selling DDR with a possible faster FSB (DDR600 maybe?)

As for overclocking, if the Conroe is anything like the P-M, it should yet again dominate the AMD lineup and especially now that's it more widely availible plus having a smaller process size to boot, it should be impressive. That said, AMD hasn't put out a dud overclocking chip in what seems like years now

The biggest issue with Intel IMO and what was addressed in that article was the memory controller still being the north bridge, and that's what's gonna be the turning point this time around. I have absolutely no doubts that if the Conroe had implimented the LDT bus it would be leaving AMD in the dust, and regardless of the fact that they've stepped up the FSB, it's still going to serve as a bottleneck and cost them efficency and price/performance ratio

My moneys on Intel personally though until AMD shapes up and hopefully gets something decent going with K9 in 2008ish or so

(I'm also personally hoping AMD crashes and burns for a bit so the stock drops back down to a more affordable level :p)

HA! I wish I had the luxury to think about stock! College rules... not. I'm going to be sitting on my system too for a while. I can't afford a makeover, and as I came into the computer geekdom, I accidentally tripped into a great time to buy. Maybe a new video card for me, but that's it.

Why in the WORLD would Intel continue to use the traditional FSB setup? AMD has been on the on-die controllers for a while now... There's no reason Intel should stay with that, especially with the resources available to them. I just don't understand what they're thinking.

Ryan

I am thinking I'll be upgrading sometime between late 2006 to mid 2007, so I have been looking at what is coming next quite a bit.

I do think Conroe will take the lead when it hits, but I am not completely buying all the numbers in the article.

One, it says that the clock efficiency of the P-M was slightly behind AMD, everything I saw in actual results was that it was slightly more efficient.

On the other hand, saying that Conroe will be 30% more efficient that the P-M is hard to believe. I believe Conroes pipes are 14 stages where as Dothan (and I believe AMD's) is 12, to me I don't know how this can make Conroes clocks more efficient that Dothans. (I think I am right on these, is Dothan 10?)

I do really hope that they do end up going with 1333 FSB for Conroe, but I am guessing that will be the XE only :rolleyes: I agree with your gaara, that the FSB issue is a big hold up for Intel. All things pointed to them going with some sort of IMC in 2007, but I have read some things against that now. Who knows, but hopefully with OC'ing, close to 400FSB (1600 total) or so will be attainable and should help narrow that gap a bit.

IDK, I'll get what ever is on top when I am ready to upgrade, but I am looking forward to a good fight :p

Here is another article that is much more optimistic about how AMD will compete against the new generation. I figured the crowd here would enjoy it :p

The main gist of the article is that Intel's biggest problem with the new generation is it's continuing use of FSB. That of course will be the biggest bottleneck in the design.

This article points to 2008 for a desktop chip with IMC from Intel. Well, only 2 more year :D

http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/company/intel/conroe/

I read through it. It's definately a little different than what I've been reading lately. Intel and all thier Conroe crap... Tons of hype. I guess if you have great marketing, you can hype up the sale of a new great-tasting iodized salt. Everyone will want it.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I read through it. It's definately a little different than what I've been reading lately. Intel and all thier Conroe crap... Tons of hype. I guess if you have great marketing, you can hype up the sale of a new great-tasting iodized salt. Everyone will want it.

Ryan
Intel hasn't marketed Conroe at all yet :rolleyes: Any hype about it has been through news sites, reviewers, and forums.

This article is definitely a little AMD biased as well, not that I think a lot of the points in the article aren't valid.

Nonetheless, Conroe is going to be a big advancement for Intel, and very well could put them back in the lead with desktop processors.

Yeah, it's been marketed... I mean, shoot, you've heard of it. They announced it. It's not a secret. They're letting the high-end market hear about it. Just because they haven't opened an account with Dell that is currently in use doesn't mean some people are already setting the stones for marketing... :rolleyes:

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Yeah, it's been marketed... I mean, shoot, you've heard of it. They announced it. It's not a secret. They're letting the high-end market hear about it. Just because they haven't opened an account with Dell that is currently in use doesn't mean some people are already setting the stones for marketing... :rolleyes:

Ryan
Well, I don't consider merely announcing a chip marketing. In the same sense, do you consider AMD's announcement of M2 'great marketing' and 'tons of hype?'

Anyways, none of this is really the point anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom