AMD Vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebx902004

Baseband Member
I wanted to buy a a Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor 3.2 Ghz.
I saw that AMD was cheaper and i want to what would be the equvilent of Athlon XP 3200 in Ghz???

Athlon XP 3200= and Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor (blank) Ghz

in terms of actual clock speed, amd has nothing to match with intel. but there cpus are rated to be equivalent to the intel chips. for example: an amd 3200+ means that it is rated as a 3.2 Ghz cpu, even though the actual clock speed is less. so to complete your statement:

Athlon XP 3200+ = an Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor @ 3.2 Ghz
if you have the money, go with intel, but if you are like me and many other people out there who don't have that kind of money, AMD will be your best choice.

I think AMD's are better for gaming. Intels are good for like u know video editing and stuff. I play games and i have a intel but i never really looked into AMD when i was building mine

well, the thing is, AMD does not have the raw power that intel does, if AMD had the raw power, and still had the same QuantiSpeed™ architecture but with speeds that say 3600+ 3800+ 4000+ 4200+ etc, with the clock speed at say 3.0 or 3.2 Ghz for the 3600+,( and higher for the other ones) then AMD would be king of the hill.

Hey man, you can find a eleventy billion reply thread on AMD vs. Intel, all you have to do is search. Kids these days...

Soloman02 said:
well, the thing is, AMD does not have the raw power that intel does, if AMD had the raw power, and still had the same QuantiSpeed™ architecture but with speeds that say 3600+ 3800+ 4000+ 4200+ etc, with the clock speed at say 3.0 or 3.2 Ghz for the 3600+,( and higher for the other ones) then AMD would be king of the hill.

Well you either design a chip that can process more IPC or you design one with moderate IPC and a higher core and bus speed. Amd choose the high IPC path, while intel chose the other. You dont need to have a higher bus/core with a higher IPC.

IPC=Instructions per clock/cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom