Amd Vs Amd

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
HI THERE
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON THESE 2 CPUs
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
--------------------VS-------------------------------
AMD Opteron 250 Troy 1GHz FSB Socket 940

which one could be cosidered better?and why?
is the 4200+ manchester the kind for the x2 4200?

They both excel in different areas and comparing the two are like apples and oranges. The Opteron is intended for server use or very intensive applications and will be a more expensive platform due to ECC memory. It will also have limited options if you intend on gaming since I doubt you'll find a PCI-E based server board.

The X2 is a multicore CPU, and will excel in your general desktop tasks. The nice thing about the X2 is the fact that is will handle multiple threaded applications such as video editing or rendering better than most other processors. It'll be the cheaper solution and will yield better performance overall IMO.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses and are intended for different tasks. One is not better than the other until we know your intended use for said processor

the more powerful Opterons are the 800 series ones. the 852 is a beast! however it costs heaps (almost $1500 from Monarch)
what makes the 800 series processors great is the ability to emulate 8 CPU's, that means it can process 8 instructions at a time (provided the software will utilize the 8 virtual CPU's)

however for overall performance, I would still go for an X2. if possible, a Toledo 4400+ (has 1MB L2 cache per core)

apokalipse said:
the more powerful Opterons are the 800 series ones. the 852 is a beast! however it costs heaps (almost $1500 from Monarch)
what makes the 800 series processors great is the ability to emulate 8 CPU's, that means it can process 8 instructions at a time (provided the software will utilize the 8 virtual CPU's)

however for overall performance, I would still go for an X2. if possible, a Toledo 4400+ (has 1MB L2 cache per core)
thats a 150 price jump..i dont know i guess ill just go with X2 4200
and OC.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom