AMD shows off dual-core Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
As found on Ars Technica:

Partial quote:
Holy Toledo! AMD demoed a dual-core Athlon 64 desktop CPU today at their Sunnyvale, California headquarters. ..Toledo is expected to ship sometime during the second half of 2005, and will be a Socket 939 part, meaning it can utilized in current motherboards that support the Athlon 64 with a BIOS update.

http://tinyurl.com/4zssl

Sounds like Nubius was right. The dual will come out in 939.

Hmmm...I wonder if he's got internal connections...Naw, or he'd be running something bigger than a mobile 64.

This isn't a suprise, AMD specifically promised that socket 939 would fully support dual core technology. I myself think I have finally decided to buy a 3200+ Socket 939, and use that until the the release of dual cores. I figure I can sell it and still make a pretty penny.

As for Intel, even their new Socket T (775) will not support dual core technology, specifically stated by them.

I think we should all bow down and worship nubius...w/e (sry nubius!)
Anyways, Gaara's right. AMD announced it; so we shouldn't be suprised. (anyway...massive props nubius!) So...will the dual cores and 64 bit processing - the future's ready.

For the Record Gaara, I think Itachi is way cooler. Itachi would murder Gaara hands down.

Haven't seen much of Itachi other than those few episodes he dropped in, so it'd be tough to say, but it'd be a good fight nonetheless, but I think the shield of sand would give gaara the advantage. :p

Ah, and the new episode will be released in a few hours, yay.

/thread hijack

Anyways, I'm hoping to see AMDs dual cores availible no later than September, but I have a feeling they will be released with a close proximity to longhorn. Hopefully by then 64 bit applications will be spreading around and we can see what dual core 64 bit processors are really capable of.

Hmmm...I wonder if he's got internal connections...Naw, or he'd be running something bigger than a mobile 64.

Nope

yup, nubius has an AMD Mobile 2400+ XP
:D I have a 35w 2400+ XP-M which is a lot different than the 2400+ XP although I do happen to have that CPU too :p
EDIT: (just now saw you said mobile 2400+ :p my mistake, I just saw now XP-M and thought you meant the regular)

It wasn't a surprise by any means. Anyone who read that article in depth would have known. They said servers first, mainly the opterons and whatnot, (socket 940) then they'd move onto desktops and mobiles

Wish it came out in 754
Well it kind of will. They will be adding it to mobiles which currently are socket 754. the 3400+ 64 mobile in particular is supposed to be a good OC'er so I don't believe you'll be left out ;)

Now I'm really happy I haven't gone the 64bit route yet. A lot of people spent their money on one, and by the time I upgrade I'll be dual core'in it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom