AMD Phenom @ 3GHz & 3-Way CrossFire Sighted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
AMD Phenom @ 3GHz & 3-Way CrossFire Sighted

AMD is showing off something that many people have doubted them about lately, and that is a high speed quad core processor. While not mentioned by name at AMD's analyst day, there are "Quad Core Processors for Desktop" being demonstrated using 3-way CrossFire. Both machines are running a yet-to-released Phenom processor based on the Agena core. One machine is running Call of Juarez and the other is running Stranglehold. I have personally played stranglehold on an Agena system and watched it fully utilize all four Agena cores!

Looks like AMD is getting back in the game. How much better are these supposed to be than Conroes?

Also, Penryns are to be released Q2 of 2008 right? Has there been any news on whether they'll be for 775 or a new socket?

I just bought my 775 socket, so if Penryns are going to be for 775 I'll stick with intel, but generally I'm an AMD guy so if not, I'll have to get AM3.

Penryn is only the mobile processor. The desktop processors are the Wolfdales and Yorkfields, being dual and quad core, respectively.

I believe, the motherboard you have, is not future proof for the new 45nm Wolfdale or Yorkfield. They are still socket 775, but you have to get the right chipset, which as of now, is the P35 chipset and G33 chipset.

Which is a bit strange, since Intel doesn't have to change as much on its architecture as AMD does. (no memory controller or hypertransport 1/0 bus, which is being upgraded)

And yet, AMD's new processors will be compatible with existing AM2 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom