AMD Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtis

In Runtime
what do you guys think of these, how do they stack up against Intels Quads?
what makes them so much less desirable?

The Phenoms are less desirable because they are slower and aren't as good at overclocking as the Intel quads.

Also, take into consideration that Q6600 consume less power than Phenom 9850BE and it is slightly cheaper

And if someone main purpose is to play games, then a fast dual core like E8400 and E8500 would be better than a quad core and cheaper

Furthermore, you can get E7200 for $120 from newegg and overclock it up to 4GHz

Also, take into consideration that Q6600 consume less power than Phenom 9850BE and it is slightly cheaper
That's commonly exaggerated too.
AMD's CPU's include a memory controller. the memory controller on Intel systems is in the northbridge.
Also, Intel's TDP is what Intel considers "average" power draw, whereas AMD's TDP is calculated under full load.

That's commonly exaggerated too.

No, it is not

AMD's CPU's include a memory controller. the memory controller on Intel systems is in the northbridge.

I'm talking about the total system draw, not the power consumption of the CPU alone

So, the power consumption will include the northbridge here

power_consumption.jpg

Check these reviews
Legit Reviews - AMD Phenom X4 9850 Processor Review - B3 Stepping - Power Consumption and Final Thoughts
AMD's Phenom X4 9750 and 9850 processors - The Tech Report - Page 15

Actually, you will rarely see any review that compares the power consumption of the CPU alone anyway

Also, Intel's TDP is what Intel considers "average" power draw, whereas AMD's TDP is calculated under full load.

Actually, most of the Core 2 Duo and Quad consume much less power that their rated TDP

Here is the power consumption of the CPU alone for some of the Core 2 Duo's
pcons-2.png

Source

E8500 has 65W TDP, but it only consume 33.4W at load

E6550 and E6850 are based on 65nm process, yet they also consume less power that their TDP at full load

Apok is right in saying that the real world difference is not that large.....however the reason most people don't buy them is because they simply don't offer anything over Intel chips for enthusiasts...and for most overclockers Intel is the better option as hitting high frequencies is quite easy...

No, it is not
Uh, yes it is.
I'm talking about the total system draw, not the power consumption of the CPU alone
I wasn't accusing you of stating otherwise.
So, the power consumption will include the northbridge here

power_consumption.jpg
And as you can see, a similarly clocked Phenom isn't that much more power hungry than a Q6600

Actually, most of the Core 2 Duo and Quad consume much less power that their rated TDP

Here is the power consumption of the CPU alone for some of the Core 2 Duo's
pcons-2.png

Source

E8500 has 65W TDP, but it only consume 33.4W at load

E6550 and E6850 are based on 65nm process, yet they also consume less power that their TDP at full load
I'm not sure how accurate that can really be.
Given the results of the first results you posted, it seems a bit inconsistent.

But there are many sources that will confirm what I said
AMD's TDP and ACP controversies - The real truth « Silicon Madness - Computer Technology news and reviews
intel amd tdp compare - Google Search

Intel's TDP is an average measurement, while AMD's TDP is a max measurement.

*edit*
bit-tech.net | Review - AMD Phenom X4 9850, 9750 and 9550
9750, which has the same clock speed, isn't consuming much more.

*edit*
Squirtis: there are reasons other than performance why some people (including myself) choose AMD. I personally don't like Intel as a company, and I especially don't want Intel to have a monopoly on the market. If AMD didn't exist, Intel could charge whatever they like and not have to actually advance their processors at a fast pace.

actually my P5Q Deluxe has a power monitoring function called EPU something or other....I was curious and when I had my Q6600 at 1.3v and 2.8ghz it was only drawing 60-65w under 100% load (prime95)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom