AMD or the P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD's are cheap for there power, You can pay $200 for an AMD chip and it will beat the crap out of a $800 Intel chip.

Oh and the 2800+, 3000+, repersents what they can compare to on intels at stock. So a 2800+ may run at 1.8ghz, it will perform the same as a 2.8ghz Intel if not better. And there are $1000+ AMD chips that perform like a 4.4Ghz Intel chip now i think.....

charles_scott said:
AMD's are cheap for there power, You can pay $200 for an AMD chip and it will beat the crap out of a $800 Intel chip.

Oh and the 2800+, 3000+, repersents what they can compare to on intels at stock. So a 2800+ may run at 1.8ghz, it will perform the same as a 2.8ghz Intel if not better. And there are $1000+ AMD chips that perform like a 4.4Ghz Intel chip now i think.....

the AMD model ### have no relation to Intel CPU freqs.

:-\ where the **** have you been? Last i heard the 2800+ means it works just as good as a 2.8Ghz Intel. And so on

2800+ = 2.8Ghz for intel
3000+ = 3.0Ghz for intel.....
and so on

Wrong.

It has been said in many forums including this one. AMD does NOT assign those model numbers to corresponding intel CPUS.

Anyways my 2.8ghz benchmarks way better than a 2800+

so if im gaming i should go for amd...but if im just doing everyday stuff, surfin the web, watchin tv on comp, usin word, i should go with intel?

bronxblaza117 said:
so if im gaming i should go for amd...but if im just doing everyday stuff, surfin the web, watchin tv on comp, usin word, i should go with intel?

Also video editing, CAD, 3-D animation. Intel!!!

"how do AMD's perform better with lower frequencies?"

you know what a bit, and a transistor is right?
a bit is a 1 or 0. a 0 if the amount of power is below X, and a 1 if it is above Y amount.
a transistor is a gate which generates an output depending on the 2 inputs (either a 1 or 0)
there are many different types of transistors.

every clock cycle pushes the data from one transistor to the next

a CPU has a set of 'pipelines' which is made of transistors.
AMD has designed their CPU's so that, to process a given instruction, it doesn't have to go through as many transistors to get the same output against, say a Pentium 4 3.2GHZ

even though the data travelling along the pipelines is slower in an Athlon, it doesn't have to go as far as in a Pentium 4

You mean to tell me that you could not think up of any other ways of explaining that??????????????

Basically here is what the AMD and Intel things comes down to.

AMD is a big strong fat guy.
Intel is the skinny fast one.

Lets say AMD and Intel had a brick carrying contest.

AMD picks up more bricks and walks slower
Intel picks up less bricks but walks faster.

AMD does more work but at a slower pace.
Intel does less work faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom