AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

^ have you tried lapping your heatsink/CPU yet? What are your load temps? Can you get away with running it @ 1.500 even? They mentioned something earlier about PCIE clocking that can help stability.

Also consider getting higher CFM fans and a better heatsink (If applicable).

I would also have fans on the RAM and NB for added stability.

^ have you tried lapping your heatsink/CPU yet? What are your load temps? Can you get away with running it @ 1.500 even? They mentioned something earlier about PCIE clocking that can help stability.

Lapping? Meaning reapply my heatsink? I would need to by TX-3 then. I ran out of MX-2 :(. Idle is 45-47, load is 57-59. Running at a stable 3.6GHz right now. Hmm it has a 1.63v! Oops! Fixing that. I can probably get away from 1.5v. I will try.

Also consider getting higher CFM fans and a better heatsink (If applicable).

I would also have fans on the RAM and NB for added stability.

u mean better fans? All i need is like a fan controller n a better heatsink should help but later on that. The RAM is totally fine. The heatsinks on the RAM is OCZ Reapers. They rock! Best heatsinks ever! The NB does get warm but idk how i can add a fan on it when the copper pipes n heatsink going from the NB, chipset, n SB is all connected.

EDIT:

im running IBTv2 and im stable at Standard settings. According to CPU-Z 1.51, im at 3.6GHz, core voltage 1.52v, Multiplier x 17.0, Bus Speed 212.0MHz, HT Link 1908.1MHz, n my RAM is 848

Lapping? Meaning reapply my heatsink?
No, lapping is using sandpaper to smooth it down.
It also helps if you use it on a nice flat piece of glass, and put water on the sandpaper.

I would need to by TX-3 then. I ran out of MX-2 :(. Idle is 45-47, load is 57-59. Running at a stable 3.6GHz right now. Hmm it has a 1.63v! Oops! Fixing that. I can probably get away from 1.5v. I will try.
Yeah, you really shouldn't need 1.6V to run it at 3.6
Most Phenom II's can get 3.6 at about 1.35-1.4V
If yours is having trouble being stable, then I'd suspect your boards power regulation isn't working like it should.
u mean better fans? All i need is like a fan controller n a better heatsink should help but later on that. The RAM is totally fine. The heatsinks on the RAM is OCZ Reapers. They rock! Best heatsinks ever! The NB does get warm but idk how i can add a fan on it when the copper pipes n heatsink going from the NB, chipset, n SB is all connected.
You can remove the badges from the heatsinks, which don't do anything.

What I did with my K9A2 Platinum is put a bigger heatsink on the MOSFET's (and used a little bit of arctic silver 5). But after a while the board just stoped working.

No, lapping is using sandpaper to smooth it down.
It also helps if you use it on a nice flat piece of glass, and put water on the sandpaper.

ur gonna have to show me pics about how to do this mate :p.

Yeah, you really shouldn't need 1.6V to run it at 3.6
Most Phenom II's can get 3.6 at about 1.35-1.4V
If yours is having trouble being stable, then I'd suspect your boards power regulation isn't working like it should.
You can remove the badges from the heatsinks, which don't do anything.

maybe. Should i call MSI n ask them about it? I sent in my mobo twice n got it back twice. How can i change the power regulation?

What I did with my K9A2 Platinum is put a bigger heatsink on the MOSFET's (and used a little bit of arctic silver 5). But after a while the board just stoped working.

Lol that sucks. How much voltage should i put into the NB without damaging it?

Lapping is pretty easy.

All you really need is something completely flat, like glass and various pieces of sand paper.
Starting at 1000 grit, to 1500 grit, to 2000 grit and ending with micron or any grit higher than 2k.

heres an example of a guide:

Guide to Lapping an Intel LGA 775 Processor - Overclock3D Forums

its pretty straight forward.

Can sand the heatsink base a bit too.

I lapped my Q6600 and heatsink base and got temps 4C lower.

Also check out what info Slaymate has given in a couple threads recently:

lapping your heatsink is easy, just time consuming. The procedure is the same whatever heatsink you use :D

Here's a 2-part video on lapping your cpu. It's easy to do, you just have to be delicate :D

ur gonna have to show me pics about how to do this mate :p.
It's not complicated.
Put sandpaper on glass, put a bit of water on it, start sanding the CPU's IHS on it.
maybe. Should i call MSI n ask them about it? I sent in my mobo twice n got it back twice. How can i change the power regulation?
Basically, buy a board with better power regulation.
Asus and Gigabyte have some boards with ~10 chokes. I'm using a MA790X-UD4P ATM.
Lol that sucks. How much voltage should i put into the NB without damaging it?
Usually I don't even touch the NB voltage. If anything I'd just give it up to about +0.1V

It's not complicated.
Put sandpaper on glass, put a bit of water on it, start sanding the CPU's IHS on it.

i'll think about it when i get my hands on TX-3 or something. I do have TX-1 from my heatsink package but i dont want to use that.

Basically, buy a board with better power regulation.
Asus and Gigabyte have some boards with ~10 chokes. I'm using a MA790X-UD4P ATM.

what do u mean by chokes? I cant buy a new mobo yet. I dont have the money, i dont have a job anymore, and me buying a new mobo right now would hurt my rep because of numberous reasons i cannot explain here.

Usually I don't even touch the NB voltage. If anything I'd just give it up to about +0.1V

seriously? What is the point of having the NB voltage as an option in BIOS then?

EDIT:

my fan controller is broken from my heatsink, so i need to send it in try getting a new one anyways. Does it void warranty on the heatsink too?

what do u mean by chokes?
Chokes are the largish square things next to the CPU.
The K9A2 Platinum has 5
I cant buy a new mobo yet. I dont have the money, i dont have a job anymore, and me buying a new mobo right now would hurt my rep because of numberous reasons i cannot explain here.
Well that's basically your best option, unless you want to try soldering higher quality MOSFET's/chokes in place of the ones it has (I don't know of anybody whose bothered to do that when there are motherboards with very good power regulation to begin with)

Otherwise, if you keep using your K9A2 Platinum, you might just end up limited in how far you can push things.
I suppose the power regulation isn't bad. But it isn't particularly good either.
seriously? What is the point of having the NB voltage as an option in BIOS then?
to increase NB stability if you try increasing NB speed.
Most of the time, increasing NB speed will hardly do anything. (I normally have my NB at stock (2GHZ) unless doing a benchmark which benifits from it)
There are a few programs that will benefit, like Superpi - which is heavily cache dependent (L3 cache runs at NB speed)

I haven't really experimented much with NB volts vs speed vs stability, but at >2.7GHZ NB speed I just use +0.15V or so

my fan controller is broken from my heatsink, so i need to send it in try getting a new one anyways. Does it void warranty on the heatsink too?
Did the fan controller come with the heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom