AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

I've read that you have to up the HT link speed, but I've also heard that at higher clocks, you need a lower HT speed....???
HT speed is independent of core speed. Though it's linked to NB speed.

You can increase them to get better performance in certain applications.
For example, a higher NB speed makes the L3 cache faster (L3 cache runs at NB speed), which helps in superpi.
For 1M runs, pretty much all the data will be in cache, so RAM/HTT speed isn't going to have much if any effect. Though For 32M runs, RAM/HTT speed plays a much bigger part.

But you don't need to increase the HTT/NB speeds exactly.
Antec-User said:
Which one? I understand that if you up the CPU cycles, you have to up the other agencies around it. NB and HT.. But mine doesn't seem to like higher HT's.. 800 seems to be the sweet spot.
In earlier K10/K10.5 chips, I think a lower HTT speed increased overall stability when overclocking the core (thus higher core clocks were possible), though I don't think it's the case so much with most chips now.

^ I was just downstairs trying to get 3.9g to boot, then tried 3.8g again to redo the LinX test.. I upped the HT to 1.0g and it really doesn't seem to like that. I upped the NB to 13x @ 1.400v, then tried 1.425v NB.. CPU @ 19x and 1.500v then tried 1.525v. I'm going to try and grab a video.

Whenever I mess with the HT it BSOD's then won't post, so I have to reset and start over again. And it really doesn't like it when I mess with the FSB during higher clocks.

So basically, the HTT and/or NB isn't very stable when you try to increase it.

Though I think you also can't raise the NB multiplier to anything higher than the HT multiplier.

I always have to set my HT lower, actually, but that's because I'm pushing such a high NB. I set the NB at 2200 and the HT at 2000 so it doesn't follow suit, because when I'm overclocked to around 4.092 or whatnot, it makes the NB around 2700. If I don't lower the HT, I get the "cold reboot" error and the overclock settings don't stick.

Untitled-5.png

my latest clock. This time the core volt is 1.5v. I'm using BIOS to do this btw. I will run IBTv2 n see if im stable.

^ do you mess with your SB Voltage at all?? -Just curious.. How high have you gotten that 940? Your board may be different, but I didn't need 1.5v at all unless I was trying 3.9/4.0 g boot. Loosen your ram timings up a bit.. that helped mine a LOT.

I can't get 3.9/4.0 to boot at all, but then again, I'm running Vista Ult 64 so I can't ask for too much.

Phenom II's can run up to about 1.55V 24/7 safely, as long as you can cool them properly.

My C3 965 is now running at 4GHZ 24/7 at 1.525V

Anyway, I think the K9A2 Platinum isn't really the best board to overclock with. The power regulation is only really 'adequate' for the most part.
My MA790X-UD4P has strong power regulation.

^ do you mess with your SB Voltage at all?? -Just curious.. How high have you gotten that 940? Your board may be different, but I didn't need 1.5v at all unless I was trying 3.9/4.0 g boot. Loosen your ram timings up a bit.. that helped mine a LOT.

I can't get 3.9/4.0 to boot at all, but then again, I'm running Vista Ult 64 so I can't ask for too much.

highest ive got to was 3.7GHz. My computer crashed XD. Back to stock n slowly going back up. Idk how to change the voltage of the SB. I did that in the screenshot through BIOS. Using AMD Overdrive now.

Phenom II's can run up to about 1.55V 24/7 safely, as long as you can cool them properly.

My C3 965 is now running at 4GHZ 24/7 at 1.525V

Anyway, I think the K9A2 Platinum isn't really the best board to overclock with. The power regulation is only really 'adequate' for the most part.
My MA790X-UD4P has strong power regulation.

power regulation? I cant be stable with 3.7GHz anymore Apok, it annoys me :(.

what is a good stable temp for my Phenom II 940 to be at? No higher than 65 C?

What do you set the volts to normally?
The lower the better (Phenom II's love the cold). But 65ºC is pretty high.

Core 1.54v. I've gotten no higher than 65 C. That has only happened once in the summer of this year. Can get to like 60 C n that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom