AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

This was the highest OC I could get without a BSOD as soon as I got past the XP loading screen:

oc2.jpg

is there a site or thread that can walk me thru OCing?? I'm a complete NEWB to it and a lot of the references here are almost Greek to me..

I wanna bring my QC up to 3.5 g or so..

is there a site or thread that can walk me thru OCing?? I'm a complete NEWB to it and a lot of the references here are almost Greek to me..

I wanna bring my QC up to 3.5 g or so..

this is the only O/C guide i remember seeing on here.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/overclocking-basics-temperature-guide-20319/

as for hitting 3.5Ghz...that is going to be pretty tough if it's the 9950 in your sig (but not impossible). the ACC on your board should help out but 3.2-3.3Ghz should be not all that hard to hit once you get used to overclocking. then when you become 'seasoned' 3.6Ghz is not unheard of.

basically:
1. fine your max cpu on stock voltage by upping the multiplier 1x at a time - 13x is stock i believe [200*13=2600mhz] so put it to 14x and reboot to windows. if it loads, increase to 15x and so on until you blue screen.
2. once you start to blue screen, it means you need more voltage. so increase it by +.025v. stock voltage is around the 1.30v give or take .015v due to "v-droop", so this would increase it to roughly 1.325v. reboot (still using that max multiplier you found). if your O/S loads your voltage is fine. if not, increase it by another +.025v.

basically overclocking is trial and error. i'm not 100% sure on phenom max voltage but i'd suggest not going above 1.425v on air...maybe even 1.4v...until your more comfortable.3

This was the highest OC I could get without a BSOD as soon as I got past the XP loading screen:

oc2.jpg

nice!
didn't realize it was NewCastle either.
are you running the stock cooler?
i know i can give my ClawHammer 1.7v w/ the stock HSF. she ran slightly hot though and bascially it was a suicide run XD
it's nice you have the 11x multi though!

Phenom II's are basically the only Phenoms that will oc past 3.5ghz without requiring MASSIVE cooling. Partly due to the fact it consumes like 50 watts less then the 9950 under load.

nice!
didn't realize it was NewCastle either.
are you running the stock cooler?
i know i can give my ClawHammer 1.7v w/ the stock HSF. she ran slightly hot though and bascially it was a suicide run XD
it's nice you have the 11x multi though!

The multi is locked at 11x, but that's fine.

My mobo will only support up to 1.550 vcore, and 2.6v DDR. I miss my old mobo, it would have been better.

I'm running a stock cooler, yup. It wasn't prime stable, but it was around 34C idle. Right now I have it at 2.476ghz (11x * 225.1mhz), vcore is floating between 1.552v and 1.568v, HT link ~900.4mhz. Idle temps are as low as 25C, and right now with normal usage, ~28C.

wow, that's pretty nice temps though.
i was burning around 55C idle @ 1.7v, 2.4Ghz lol.

I cleaned out my heatsink. ;) It had a bunch of gunk in it. When I installed my new HDD last night, I took everything apart, and reseated it with better cable management. Cleaned the fans, heatsink/fan combo, filters, etc.

Ambient temperature in my room is probably around 24C or so, so that helps I guess. That and having 3 fans with good airflow with the cleaned heatsink. ;)

And I can't push 1.7, if I could, I'm sure my temps would go up a bit.

So anything past what I have up there, I get a blue screen. Any suggestions for pushing a little bit more? I wanna milk it for all it's worth. RAM isn't too great, but I can mess with it: 2x 1gb Corsair DDR400 3-3-3-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom