Amd and Intel Clock speeds ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewt427

Baseband Member
I have Questions.

Why does AMD advertise there processers as 3200 while there clock speeds are rated for like 2.2Ghz.?? ]

Intel advertises it's true clock speed??.i.e 3.2ghz is a 3.2ghz

So why is that I read everywhere that these are about the same in performance????. or lets say comparable??

Considering the AMD is a Athlon XP3200 400mhz FSB, and the Intel is a P4 3.2 with a FSB of 533mhz.

The P4 is running a higher clock and it also has a higher FSB.

How can this be??

What is it that a AMD processor has that alows them to run a lower clock speed but yet perform as good of that of a higher clocked pentium

Please explain in detail.

AMD builds faster and better cores than Intel, therefore they can clock them at lower frequencies but still reach the same performance as a higher clocked Intel proccesor.

Also, AMD currently has numerous proccesors released right now with 1000mhz FSB.

Just to keep everybody on the right track here.

Leave out the high end processors, like AMD64's and Intels with hyperthreading.

Thats a completely different story all together.

Thanks

Intel has fatter longer pipes and AMD has shorter skinnier pipes. Thats why Intel can have such huge clock speeds, but during each clock cycle AMD does more instructions than the Intel. This is why a 3200+ XP even though it's 2.2GHz is comparable to a 3.2GHz Intel. Check out this bench I got when I had my XP at 2.7GHz, it's not like the greatest bench in the world but theres a couple intels listed there I believe:

OCSS3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom