Not open for further replies.

Dmonik

Solid State Member
I just built a computer
AMD x2 3800
2 gig
512mb video card
120gb hdd

when I open up the task manager to show the cpu, it only shows 2 cpus, shouldnt it show 4 though since the processor has HTT?

Hello,

You're confusing Intel's 'Hyper-Threading Technology' (HTT) with 'HyperTransport' (HT).

Intel's Hyper-Threading (in a nutshell) is a technique which enables a single CPU to act like multiple CPU's.

HyperTransport is a point to point communication link which replaces the Front Side Bus.

It's normal that you're seeing two CPUs.

actually, in AMD land, HTT stands for HyperTransport Technology as well.
your actual HTT bus speed of that cpu is 1000mhz, doubled to 2000mhz. data is sent on the upswing and downswing of the clock, so it is "double pumped" to an effective frequency of 2000mhz. it doesnt really have anything to do with the number of cores.
cpuz would show four if you had a quad-core (amd, i dont know about intel,but im sure its the same) cpu.
alvin is correct that it is normal for you to see 2 cores, since your cpu is a dual core.

Hypertransport is basically putting most of the northbridge functions on the CPU itself, including the memory controller, giving the CPU direct access to almost anything in the system (most notably, the RAM)

As said, it is not the same as Hyperthreading (which is basically where one core pretends to be two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom