AMD Dual Core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
So I was looking at the X2 dual cores and I was wondering. What would be better.

1) a 4400+ (L2 Cache = 2 x 1MB) overclocked 25%

or

2) a 4600+ (L2 Cache = 2 x 512 KB) overclocked 25%

4400+ if your overclocking, and a 4400+ and a 4600+, you cant expect them both to overclock the same

The 4600+ will likely overclock lower because it's at a higher speed already.

Right, but it was a hypothetical question. I was just wondering if you could overclock them the same percentage, which one would be better. Thanks though.

His question was, if they where both OCd 25% (no further) which one would perform better. Basicaly saying, hes asking if the one w/ more cache will perform better id guess.

Yeah, one has more Cache, but a slightly lower clock speed. I am pretty much asking if you would give up clock speed for the extra cache, or the extra cache for the clock speed.

The 4400+ has the larger cache so it will perform better when they are both overclocked the same percentage

It's not guranteed they will overclock the same though

if ur looking at gettin a X2 the only one to go for is the 4400 because it has the same ammount of cache as the 4800 but only 200mhz slower, which you will easily be able to overclock to. So effectively giving you a 4800 for half the price.

Yeah, sacrifice the clock speed for the cache, it will more than make up for it. You can always bump the clock up 400MHz to get the same speed, or whatever the clock speeds are. I'm pretty bad with spec and clock speeds :confused:

Ok you guys are missing the point of the original post.. A 4400+ is 2.2 GHZ. Overclocked 25%, it will be around 2.75 GHZ. A 4600+ is 2.4 GHZ. Overclocked 25%, it will be 3.0 GHZ. It is no competition. THe 4600+ Overclocked 25% will DESTROY the 4400+ overclocked 25%.

Also to answer the question in the 2nd post, the extra 512 MB of cache will require about 100-200 MHZ extra to make up for the performance. So, a 2.5 GHZ X2 with 512 Cache will perform about the same as a 2.4 GHZ x2 with 1MB cache. Obviously, if you have better memory with tigher timings and have an FSB of around 250, then the benefits of the extra cache will matter a little less. If you have ram with average timings running at stock FSB, then the extra cache will matter a little more. Thats where the 100-200MHZ range comes from.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that as you increase in MHZ, each MHZ offers less of a performance increase than the previous one. So, as you overclock higher, the extra 1mb of cache will matter a little more. Thats why I changed it from 100-150 to 100-200....

Also, AJ, right now, the 4400+ does not look too promising. Priced at 600-640 dollars(mostly around 640), it is significantly higher than the 4200+, which is priced around 410-440 dollars (mainly around 425). Also, with the 3800+ out, it is defenetly not worth it to get a 4400+ if you are looking for the best price/performance, and your willing to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom