AMD buys ATI for 5.4billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
ic, i knew they were gonna do that i just though since it said that, that they would be called AMD gfx cards instead lol :p silly me

I think the interim right now is ATIMD :p but in reading they wil still have a GPU product line and a CPU product line... they will be able to incorporate the two and maybe (in theory) put AMD graphics chips on ATI GPUs, and AMD chipsets on mobos. but the products themselves will still be a serparate item

well what i will be interested to see is if they try to merge some of their technologies. i think ATI could try to incorporate some of AMD's dual core technology which in my opinion could benefit a GPU greatly given that GPU processes are highly parelelised (although not by threads but the actual processes themselves). on the flipside ATI could share some of their technology to do with the construction of the various units within their CPU's. this could give AMD a heck of a lot of number crunching power so probably some significant boosts in scientific and encoding performance which would certainly take the edge off of conroe's success by aiming for Intel's knees.......the one thing they have always relied on which is better performance in number crunching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom