AMD Athlon 3200 Running Way too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidd

Beta member
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2

First I had put on the HSF that came with the CPU. It had a thermal pad already on. Motherboard Manager 5 said that the processor was running about 75-76 degrees C.

Then i put on this antec HSF i have with some antec brand thermal paste. Still, same result.

Then i put the original HSF back on with that same antec thermal paste and it still runs hot. Same temp 75-76.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Has it always run that hot? I think they all run pretty hot, my dad's has got a 3200+ and that runs around 70. 65 if you're lucky. I like my Thermaltake though. That did the job becuase with the HSF that came with it, the temps were going up to around 50 o/c'd and now they are around 35-40.

Oh and also, have you got any case fans, that would definately cool it down. You need cool fresh air around the CPU otherwise the fan just blows back on the hot air made by the CPU. So yeah, get case fans.

thanks a bunch! that makes me feel a lot better about mine runnin that hot. also a guy from the AMD forum told me this:

"Stupidd," your board reads from a sensor in the CPU's dye or core, as a result, the temp readings are much higher. Most boards read the temps via a sensor located below the processor chip. Your temps could be off by as much as 15 degrees higher.

one of my friends has that CPU and his runs at about 40C with the stock fan and heatsink.

stupidd said:
thanks a bunch! that makes me feel a lot better about mine runnin that hot. also a guy from the AMD forum told me this:

"Stupidd," your board reads from a sensor in the CPU's dye or core, as a result, the temp readings are much higher. Most boards read the temps via a sensor located below the processor chip. Your temps could be off by as much as 15 degrees higher.

Yeah, my 3200+ runs at around 42 degrees C (i consider that hot) and the heatsink feels as cold as the case itself.

I run the same, and mine is at 31*c at idle and 38*c after gaming all night. But I also have 6 fans blowing in various directions.

dave

I have two case fans and the 3200 and the sock heatsink. It runs about 42 idle and 50 under stressful gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom